Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
I was never hardcore into Slayer but if this album doesn't make you headbang it means there's something broken inside you.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This record is a Masterpiece from beginning to end.

I remember when it came out being sad because it was around "only" 30 min long, later I realized the time length was just perfect. The whole package is a Landmark!

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
IMO short thrash records are generally better. I always appreciate it when I finish a record and it leaves me just wanting to start it over again. Get in, kick ass, get out.

·
Los Cochinos
994 Posts
This record is a Masterpiece from beginning to end.

I remember when it came out being sad because it was around "only" 30 min long, later I realized the time length was just perfect. The whole package is a Landmark!
Yeah, I remember buying a copy of Reign In Blood on cassette on my way home from school a week or so after it came out and the full album was on both sides, I wondered if they had made a mistake or something lmfao 30 years, though...I still remember seeing the cover art and thinking how I was crossing-over to the darkside but after hearing my friend's copy of the album, couldn't have cared less at that point.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
IMO short thrash records are generally better. I always appreciate it when I finish a record and it leaves me just wanting to start it over again. Get in, kick ass, get out.
I think fast-paced albums like a lot of thrash and punk albums do better being short. There are a few fast albums that do well being long, but I think the closer you are to punk (and Slayer is one of those metal bands that has a bazillion punk fans because of it's similarity to punk), the better it is for your albums to be shorter.

So, yeah, Reign in Blood is an awesome album and its shortness helps it out instead of hurting it. :metal: I love a lot of the slower "breakdown" parts in the various songs on the album, the middle of Raining Blood probably being my favorite.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
I love a lot of the slower "breakdown" parts in the various songs on the album, the middle of Raining Blood probably being my favorite.
Yes! I actually got into Slayer because my guitar teacher, who was a big metalhead and knew I was way into Metallica and Maiden, came in one day and just said "Alright, today we're gonna learn some Slayer tunes." It was a blast and I remember the breakdowns being some of my favorite parts to play.

It's not on this album obviously but IMO the breakdown in War Ensemble makes that song.

·
Registered
122 Posts
First album i got by Slayer was South of Heaven. Amazing album. I got a copy of Reign in Blood on tape about a year later. It was too much for me, really, really fast, but after a while i started to get it. Those 2 records are still my faves by Slayer

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Crank it up and it still makes the walls shake like nothing else out there :yesway: I love South of Heaven as well though (anything before & upto Divine Intervention really..) :metal:

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Hulk knows what's up.
:hesright:

I argued hard for my band's CD to be referred to as an album at 36:50 and 7 tracks, but the overall feeling was that people have come to expect more these days. Despite my respect for the Yng, I don't always buy the "more is better" thing, myself.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Oh yes: and one of my favourite things about Wikipedia is the Slayer fans pushing the band's articles to the front page and featured article status so often. I have Wiki open every day I work, and was chuffed to see the Angel Of Death article featured. :scream:SLAYER! :scream2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
A couple of months later on a Sunday night in February 1987, in the unheated end of some colonial mansion in Connecticut I'm trying to find something, anything to listen to on the radio. We have a small radio/cassette player in the room we're playing pool in and all of a sudden, bam, "Angel of Death" so I hit the record button instantly and taped over the owner's Traffic album. We listened to that song all night long over and over. We went back the next day and asked where the Traffic tape was and the owner of the radio was kind of pissed but let me take the tape to try and figure out who the band was. Kid Kelly, the local expert said he read somewhere about a band called "Slayer" and he told us that that might be this band. About a week later we, the band I was in, were playing it in our Metallica cover band.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts