Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
SLAM NOT GLAM!
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a LTD MHB-400 used. I don't have it yet, but it is a matte black satin finish. Someone has spray painted a white design on the back of it. Could I use a little paint thinner to take it off? I got a good deal on it , so i figured i can surely figure out a way to remove this.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
TBH I think using thinners would risk taking the main finish off the guitar too. I think your best options are to either live with it (it's on the back after all) or try touching in over it with satin black. Or you could gaffer tape the back Randy Rhoads style.

·
AVH Guitar Repair
327 Posts
TBH I think using thinners would risk taking the main finish off the guitar too. I think your best options are to either live with it (it's on the back after all) or try touching in over it with satin black. Or you could gaffer tape the back Randy Rhoads style.
^Pretty much this. Any type of thinner is going to affect your black poly under it
(horrendously if you try that on a nitrocellulose lacquer finish). I would sand very lightly over just the white affected area with 800gt just enough to remove most the white down to the black, overspray with flat satin black auto urethane, in light quick strokes until it's recovered. Do at least a couple of coats. That should cover it as a temporary, albeit not perfect, measure without stripping it and refinishing it properly.

·
SLAM NOT GLAM!
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I received the guitar today, and was able to wet sand it right off, turned out good!

A couple of off topic questions.

Since this guitar is longer it won't fit in a regular electric hardcase, do I need to get a bass case?

I've never had a matte finish guitar before, is there a special type of cleaner/polish I need?

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Since this guitar is longer it won't fit in a regular electric hardcase, do I need to get a bass case?

I've never had a matte finish guitar before, is there a special type of cleaner/polish I need?
Excellent job! :yesway:

Bass case? Not necessarily. Try hitting a guitar store and try a few cases out, one may work. If you can live without a hardshell, try a high-quality padded gig bag, they often leave a little extra room. If not, bass case will work. :yesway:

Matte finish special products? No. Just wipe it off with "guitar cleaner." If you really want to "polish" it, I can't really comment, something abrasive could screw it up. But I have used Meguiar's 3-step cleaning products and I think that would work fine. It has a carnauba wax which is excellent on gloss surfaces and couldn't hurt matte finishes, but probably isn't necessary.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
If that came off easily, maybe it wasn't paint. Maybe the last owner just hit the perfect note in the last solo he played with it :shrug:

Sweet guitar though, I love matte finishes too! I would be careful about using a wax on it. Not sure if the wax would fill in some of the texture and make it look less matte. Plus, you don't really want it to shine anyway. I would use a regular guitar cleaner and that is it. Then I would shred. The end :yesway:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.