Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the right way to go about it, to make space for the bass? I'm just screwing around with the HD500, and here's what I'm looking at for my Mesa sim:

Not a ton of gain, and not much high end. I have the bass set pretty low-ish, and if I roll it any lower than that the tone itself gets really thin. I want to keep the bass in the tone so that it's full, but without the low rumble making it into the recording. (Does that make sense?) I don't want just a wall of midrange, basically.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even with a basic hipass set around ~95hz, it's still there. :scratch: It's only really noticeable when I palm mute heavily, but I do have a pretty heavy picking hand and the piece I'm playing (though just a throw-away riff) definitely would not sound as good if I bitch-picked it like Simon. :lol:

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
High pass at 100-125. Maybe even higher.
Sounds like a good idea. I was gonna say try to use a parametric eq, as well.

You set your eq up eerily similar to mine. I'm not quite as high on the mids, and I've got a little more presence, but other than that, it looks very similar.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
I usually set the high pass at 175 or higher. Get a bass track down and sweep the high pass until it sounds good. It's a good starting point.

·
Plastic bag in the sea
280 Posts
+1 to the high pass, push it up to where it starts getting thin then back it off a touch.

Otherwise you could try some multi-band compression on the lows/low mids with ReaXComp (if you're still using Reaper) so it compresses the palm mutes slightly but doesn't kick in on open notes. :yesway:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Sounds like you need to either turn your bass down or bump your highpass filter up more. "Rumble" in guitars can go up as high as 150-200Hz.

Maybe throw a virtual Tubescreamer in front?

EDIT: This is what I get for writing a reply and not clicking "post" until half an hour later :lol:

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
TURN DOWN THE GAIN!!! Seriously. Try it. It will make your recordings better. Go with just a little below the point that the gain sounds right. When it records, it will sound better. Pick hard. Be manly. Obtain rodent. Aquire crossbow.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Highpass at 80-100hz, using a steeper curve than you have. That looks like a 6 or 12 db/oct filter, try a 24db/oct... then put a multi band compressor on the track, bypass all but the lowest band of the compressor, set the compressor to 10:1 ratio (this is a starting point), the x-over around 150-200hz, then set the threshold so that it only engages on yer CHUG CHUG CHUG parts. If you have attack and release parameters set them both to fast.

As an absolute last resort, hold your nose, and turn the gain down.

Also, don't be afraid of thin guitars... the bass will fill them out.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Highpass at 80-100hz, using a steeper curve than you have. That looks like a 6 or 12 db/oct filter, try a 24db/oct... then put a multi band compressor on the track, bypass all but the lowest band of the compressor, set the compressor to 10:1 ratio (this is a starting point), the x-over around 150-200hz, then set the threshold so that it only engages on yer CHUG CHUG CHUG parts. If you have attack and release parameters set them both to fast.

As an absolute last resort, hold your nose, and turn the gain down.

Also, don't be afraid of thin guitars... the bass will fill them out.
You need to install Google Talk, so that I can pester you whilst I do this.

Do you use a particular plug-in compressor? I have like 90 available..

·
Knives!
427 Posts
It depends entirely on the tuning. For anything really subby i.e Drop A or below I tend to high pass around 100. Closer to G or F and you can get away with about 150 but that's as high as I would push it before you start to lose body. For anything tuned around Drop C or standard 100 is the golden number! Do the high-pass in logic/cubase after you've recorded so that you have more control, other than that there's not much else to it. You CAN multiband but to be honest I only multiband the low mids when mud needs cleaned up or to tame sub on bass.

To be honest man mine is rolling off at about the same rate as yours and it does me fine haha maybe it's your monitor placement that's making it sound boomy?

·
Read Only
3 Posts
You need to install Google Talk, so that I can pester you whilst I do this.

Do you use a particular plug-in compressor? I have like 90 available..
What is Google talk?

For the multi-band you can use the Waves, but I use the McDSP one, just because it's what I have.

BTW - this multi band trick was made nearly ledgendary on the Sneap forums. To the point that it was included in a FAQ at one point, and lots of posters proclaimed it was the silver bullet for the Sneap sound. I rarely use the multi band thing, it's only when the chugs are way louder than the rest of the track that it's necessary.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
if its a rhythm preset then id turn down the early reflections to 0. It may cause it to sound bigger which makes it more apparent and you could turn it down and let it hide in the mix. Might not be that, but could be.

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
What is Google talk?

For the multi-band you can use the Waves, but I use the McDSP one, just because it's what I have.

BTW - this multi band trick was made nearly ledgendary on the Sneap forums. To the point that it was included in a FAQ at one point, and lots of posters proclaimed it was the silver bullet for the Sneap sound. I rarely use the multi band thing, it's only when the chugs are way louder than the rest of the track that it's necessary.
So that's what Flemming Rassmussen shoulda done on AJFA huh? ;)

·
Read Only
3 Posts
So that's what Flemming Rassmussen shoulda done on AJFA huh? ;)
I honestly don't know if analogue multi-band compressors existed in 1989...

if its a rhythm preset then id turn down the early reflections to 0. It may cause it to sound bigger which makes it more apparent and you could turn it down and let it hide in the mix. Might not be that, but could be.
If it's a rhythm preset turn the reverb off. Period.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This track is totally dry other than a (moderately aggressive) noise gate.

And I must say, I've no idea what early reflections are. :lol:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts