Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finishing up bringing my semihollow back from the dead - the thing sat in a case for a year unused, and the fretboard is just loving the lemon oil. Today I'm going to restring it finally and clean up these disgusting frets.

The first few frets have some string grooves worn in them. I don't think they'll have a big impact, but if I can do something about it I'd like to. In a situation like this, is a refret my only option?

Comical: The year+ old 9V for the Graphtech Ghost in this thing still works fine. I'm on like the third one in my 2027 now. :lol:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Also, why didn't you clean the frets before oiling the fingerboard? :lol:

Silly boy. Can't leave you on your own without Drew watching over your shoulder, clearly.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I oiled the FB to let it soak for a few days before getting around to the frets, fool. I have a lot of guitars. I do my work when I get around to it. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, the upper registers on this thing are all buzz-tastic. :( Thing sat in the case way too long.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd set it up for you for a beer. And travel expenses. :yesway:
I can do the bridge no prob, I just hate fuckin' with truss rods. I have a local guy that isn't Drew that I'm gonna drag it over to if I can't get it happy today.

That said, man, open chords on the first few frets that I can actually use sound great! :lol:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Looks like a level/crown/polish would do the trick. You'll likely need to adjust the truss rod some(though if you're levelling, you need to adjust it as flat as can be anyways). Hopefully the neck isn't warped.

·
Nobody Has Seen Me Lately
1,191 Posts

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bring it with you next weekend, and we'll level and dress the frets, fool!
That would be ace. Between two pickup swaps (2027 and RG8) and this, we're going to be pretty damn loaded. :lol:

Update on the status of it, I got it all intonated - adjusted the truss and raised the action, and oddly enough the saddles that were out are now 100% perfect, no adjustment necessary, with 10's on it instead of 9s.

Frets still need some lovin', but it plays great and the piezo sounds fantastic.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
I actually need to file a couple of frets. Instead of ordering online, what could I pickup from Home Depot or Lowe's?

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
That would be ace. Between two pickup swaps (2027 and RG8) and this, we're going to be pretty damn loaded. :lol:

Update on the status of it, I got it all intonated - adjusted the truss and raised the action, and oddly enough the saddles that were out are now 100% perfect, no adjustment necessary, with 10's on it instead of 9s.

Frets still need some lovin', but it plays great and the piezo sounds fantastic.
YOU ARE WELCOME, DICKFACE

:wub:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I actually need to file a couple of frets. Instead of ordering online, what could I pickup from Home Depot or Lowe's?
When I level frets, I use a really big straight edge to make sure the fretboard is as flat as can be, and I use a long bastard mill file(mines like 10" long maybe? thats what she said), which I've trimmed down so it's just the file, and no handle, and glued it to a nice, smoothed over wooden block, real comfy on the hand, and really allows me to get consistent passes across all the frets. File parallel to the strings. The problem with leveling them though is, you need to crown them too, or the frets won't intonate right.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
I've always used a wooden block with glasspaper, but you're right about the straightedge.

The bits really aren't that expensive - you can pick up a comprehensive guitar setup toolkit for less than £60 that'll do almost everything, and there really is nothing more satisfying than levelling and crowning your own frets, setting it up and it ripping arseholes :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I've always used a wooden block with glasspaper, but you're right about the straightedge.

The bits really aren't that expensive - you can pick up a comprehensive guitar setup toolkit for less than £60 that'll do almost everything, and there really is nothing more satisfying than levelling and crowning your own frets, setting it up and it ripping arseholes :lol:
Can anybody recommend such a kit? I get by with a lot of basic tasks, but crowning and leveling frets would be the next level for me.

Also, a set of calipers :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts