Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current IDE DVD burner is broken - won't read anything anymore - so I bought a SATA burner to replace it. The actual hardware swap is no problem.

My configuration
Biostar TForce P965 mobo
500gb IDE Seagate hard drive
IDE Benq DVD burner, replacing with SATA Samsung DVD burner

Everything is detected fine. I check in the Vista installer and all my files are there, the C: drive is, the DVD burner works fine. However, the hard drive becomes INCREDIBLY slow. As a slave drive, it is slow, and as a master, it is still slow. It takes over five minutes to display the Vista login screen and then god only knows how long to progress past that. I tried both jumping it as the master/single drive and as cable select, and tried both the slave & master connectors on the 80 wire IDE cable I have.

What is the issue here? Everything looks fine but I can't find any clear cut reason for why my hard drive would become so incredibly slow. It is the only device connected to IDE after swapping the DVD burner. I just put my IDE burner back in and now the computer is fine again.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
what? mine worked FLAWLESSLY, and takes less time to fire up when burning :lol:

when installing 64 bit linux/mint, i have to add an all generic ide command. no other difficulties encountered. what brand is the driver. Some of the older Sata Samsung/TScorp drives had a few issues with various OS's, but thats all been resolved i thought

·
Banned
2,695 Posts
Check your bios, because it sounds like something is incorrect there. It either sounds like its wasting resources looking for an IDE drive that isnt there, or there is something physically off. Make sure if/when you remounted the HD that you didnt use the wrong screws to reseat it. I have seen screws just long enough to retard the rotations of the drive without makeing obvious drag noises.

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is nowhere in the BIOS to straighten this out it seems :( It actually appears to be a Windows Vista 64 problem. I re-installed the IDE drive, with the SATA drive at the same time, and now the computer runs fine again and the new DVD drive works.

·
Banned
2,695 Posts
There is nowhere in the BIOS to straighten this out it seems :( It actually appears to be a Windows Vista 64 problem. I re-installed the IDE drive, with the SATA drive at the same time, and now the computer runs fine again and the new DVD drive works.
Oh shit - Vista 64 bit - I feel your pain bro. I had some downright mysterious shit happen when I installed the Blue-ray drive on this machine which is also 64 bit. Took me a week worth of installing/uninstalling shit, and then it finally worked for no good fucking reason. I refuse to add on anything again until a more reasonable Windows OS exists.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
man, that problem is so bizarre. All I know is XP 64 would randomly lose the ability to see any and all optical drives when I had it, tried it twice and it happened both times.

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are a BOLD man.
Not really :lol: my computer's primary purpose is to run Cubase, and Cubase in Vista 64 crashes constantly, so many drop outs, popping and cracking all the time (on what I would consider to be a reasonably fast system).. so fuck it! If it proves to suck even more on Win7, I'll go all the way back to XP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts