Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is my first seven string, and I chose this one because apparently these are REALLY good mod platforms. Yesterday, I looked it over before I bought it. Neck pocket was pretty well flush, fret ends weren't sharp, no dead frets. A couple finish issues but oh well. Unplugged, this thing is EXTREMELY resonant. Overall, not bad for 400 dollars, but the pickups leave a lot to be desired. Hoping to replace these Quantams with something much better. For what it's worth, I play a lot of Black/Swedish Death Metal, but also some thrash as well. The rest of my rig is a 6505+, 2x12 cab with Eminence Governor/Swamp Thang. For what it's worth, I'm liking my 85/15 "S" pickup in my PRS. It seems nice and thick with enough juice to get to metal territory. What I'm looking for in a pickup is a nice healthy low end, mids that aren't quacky, and highs that are crunchy without being shrill. I don't want an overly tight pickup. I can't stand that. I've heard that a Pegasus might suit me but I've never had experience with one. I've had a D-Sonic recommended to me as well.

Another concern: I've heard that pickup routes in these are too shallow to accommodate an SD pickup. Is this true? It's not a dealbreaker if it is, I just want to know what I'm getting myself into by looking at SD pickups.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd look into Black Winters for the Duncan path, Deactivators for the DiMarzio path. I seriously doubt any modern Ibanez would be unable to accept Seymour Duncan pickups! :oops: And even if it was, it would be worth doing minor routing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts