Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I said in this thread I wouldn't do it. The cutting pliers are coming out.:lol:

Replacement pickups for this. Go.

I usually end up dumping in a DiMarzio Air Zone/Air Norton combo in alder bodied superstrats. But I'm thinking about an Andy Timmons in the bridge? No idea what would match up with that in the neck or in the middle. :scratch:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I usually end up dumping in a DiMarzio Air Zone/Air Norton combo in alder bodied superstrats. But I'm thinking about an Andy Timmons in the bridge? No idea what would match up with that in the neck or in the middle. :scratch:
Do a full Timmons set. Make me jealous. :(

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
You know, I put an Air Zone and Air Norton in that guitar and they sounded pretty darn good. I took them out because I wanted to keep them, but now I'm not sure what I'm going to do with white pickups :lol:

Anyway, if you don't go AZ/AN, try the Andy Timmons in the bridge. Being alder, that guitar is fairly bright, and the AT pickup should complement it. Then maybe a PAF Pro in the neck?

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool suggestions guys :yesway:

Norton/Fred with like a fasttrack or something in the middle
Are they being spiffed by Dimarzio this month or something? :lol:

Whatever I end up deciding on, I'm buying from you anyway (Blatant Plug for Max's Retail Services). Any particular reason why those? Not very familiar with the Norton although I'm a complete whore for the Air Norton.

EMG 85-X Bridge, EMG SA-X mid, EMG 60-X Neck.
Hmm. Not too sure I want to go actives with this one. :idea: BUT, you gave me an idea for what to put in this one.

Do a full Timmons set. Make me jealous. :(
Well that's the reason why I picked it up, and will also drop a Wilkinson in there. :lol:

What's the "full Timmons set"? :scratch:. I know there's the AT-1 for the bridge. What would go in the neck and middle positions? The Ibanez site says there's a Cruiser Bridge in the middle position. So what would work with that in the Neck?

Paf pro neck, Tone zone bridge, velvet or '61 or similar for the middle.
PAF Pro in the neck is an interesting idea. The middle position is then being mixed with a tapped coil in the 2 and 4 positions I'm assuming? I really don't use middle pickups all that much.

You know, I put an Air Zone and Air Norton in that guitar and they sounded pretty darn good. I took them out because I wanted to keep them, but now I'm not sure what I'm going to do with white pickups :lol:

Anyway, if you don't go AZ/AN, try the Andy Timmons in the bridge. Being alder, that guitar is fairly bright, and the AT pickup should complement it. Then maybe a PAF Pro in the neck?
I'm trying to stay away from that combo because I've already got it in 2 ESP Horizons and a Jackson Soloist. I think it's time to get some variety. :lol: I really do like the Air Zone a lot though.

2nd vote for a PAF Pro in the neck. Hmmm....

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The Timmons set is the AT and 2 Cruisers.

I'd go for an Air Norton or Humbucker from Hell with that pairing.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Thanks frank :lol:

I dig the norton bridge. Gnarly, Snarfy, and Qwumphy. I think dimarzio says it "can only be described as nastY" which would be true, if gnarly snarfy and qwumphy also didnt work.

And the fred, well the fred is just one of the best neck humbuckers ever :agreed:

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK so I dropped in a Wilkinson and should be getting in an order for new pickups soon. The pots and switch are getting replaced with new ones also.

Right now I'm thinking AT-1/Cruiser(Bridge)/PAF Pro. Unless someone has a better suggestion.

So should I keep it with white pickups? Or maybe black? I didn't have any spare pickups to drop in there. So the GH controller in the background is the only black reference I could find :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
For something really different, try the Humbucker from Hell or Duncan Stag Mag in the neck.

The HFH is actually relatively low output and is really bright and Stratty, while the Stag Mag splits to sounding like a true single-coil.

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Did you play it before taking it apart? :lol: If so, isn't that the fastest neck you've ever played? It's even faster than the satiny neck on my RG1570.

So it looks like the Wilky lines up properly?

Oh, and I'm glad it made it there safely!

OK so I dropped in a Wilkinson and should be getting in an order for new pickups soon. The pots and switch are getting replaced with new ones also.

Right now I'm thinking AT-1/Cruiser(Bridge)/PAF Pro. Unless someone has a better suggestion.

So should I keep it with white pickups? Or maybe black? I didn't have any spare pickups to drop in there. So the GH controller in the background is the only black reference I could find :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did you play it before taking it apart? :lol: If so, isn't that the fastest neck you've ever played? It's even faster than the satiny neck on my RG1570.
Now this is a neck profile I can get used to. It's a bit more chunky than the other Ibby RG's I've tried. It's very much like a Charvel profile. The only issue I had, was with the way things were setup. After swapping bridges (more about that below), and getting the strings to their proper heights. I noticed that the strings were bottoming out on the highest frets. At first I was like "aw fuck! I'm already going to have to get this fretboard planed out." So I checked things out with a fret level/straight edge tool and everything was looking OK. Took the neck off, and found the shim from hell in the back of the neck pocket. :lol:

Removing the shim and cleaning out the neck pocket a bit really made a difference. Not just in terms of string action, but also it's got more girth to it acoustically. This is one seriously resonant piece of alder. I'm beginning to believe the hype that the Ibbys made back then, were just constructed with a better grade of wood.

So it looks like the Wilky lines up properly?
The strings lined up perfectly. The only thing I had to do was dremel away a small bit of the trem routing near the arm collar. It was rubbing against that side of the routing. But other than that. It's a direct drop in replacement. The studs are the same thread size. So the locking Wilkinson studs are in there now.

Speaking of which. I don't know what the original bridge was made out of. But it's all sorts of dead and tone-sucking. Dropping the Wilkinson made a huge difference acoustically.

Oh, and I'm glad it made it there safely!
:yesway:

BTW. Someone seriously went bucknutty with the amount of solder on the back of the volume pot. WTH? :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Almost forgot. If anyone wants the OEM pickups (V8/S2/V7). Let me know and I'll send them to you for the cost of shipping. Otherwise they're going in the garbage.

CONUS ONLY!!!! :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts