Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, in the near future I'm planning on swopping the shitty licensed trem on my M207 for a decent one. I already love the Gotoh floyd in my Jackson 6er, and wouldn't mind going for one on the LTD, but my concern is whether the route used on the shitty LTD trem will accommodate one.

Has anyone else replaced a trem on one of these guitars in the past? I wouldn't mind the Schaller or OFR models if necessary; I just want to avoid ordering something that won't be of use to me.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Which area of the trem cavity are you concerned with, as far as the trem contacting the edges? I think...that the Gotoh's locking nuts for the saddles (the allen head that sticks out the back) protrudes out the back further than what an OFR or Schaller does, Now, I'm not 100% on this but I have a Schaller that I can measure the length from the stud to the end of the low E saddle screw if you need me to. You said you have a Gotoh already, did you dry fit it in your 207? I think the Schallers are a bit wider than the OFR or Gotoh's...

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which area of the trem cavity are you concerned with, as far as the trem contacting the edges? I think...that the Gotoh's locking nuts for the saddles (the allen head that sticks out the back) protrudes out the back further than what an OFR or Schaller does, Now, I'm not 100% on this but I have a Schaller that I can measure the length from the stud to the end of the low E saddle screw if you need me to. You said you have a Gotoh already, did you dry fit it in your 207? I think the Schallers are a bit wider than the OFR or Gotoh's...
Yeah, the Gotoh's in my Jackson, and the length of the saddles is definitely the part I'm concerned about, as I had to widen the cavity a bit to make them fit when I installed it.

The OFR may be a safer option...

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
A Gotoh Floyd will NOT fit your M207. Not because of the route in the LTD, but because Gotoh don't make a 7 string floyd.
This (Ibanez stuff excluded).

Floyd is a safer option, even if they did make a Gotoh 7 string.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A Gotoh Floyd will NOT fit your M207. Not because of the route in the LTD, but because Gotoh don't make a 7 string floyd.
That's odd...I've seen them floating around on different sites before.:confused:

Then again, my memory may well be playing tricks on me...

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
AFAIK, Gotoh doesn't make a 7-string Floyd. An OFR-7, however, should be a direct retrofit on an M-207 with no mods necessary.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Oh crap...sorry bout that...I wasn't sure what an M-207 was. Thought it was a 6er...Shame on me and my Ibby fandom. Then it's settled....OFR!

·
Neil deGrasse Tyson is my HERO.
1,053 Posts
Yeah, the Gotoh's in my Jackson, and the length of the saddles is definitely the part I'm concerned about, as I had to widen the cavity a bit to make them fit when I installed it.

The OFR may be a safer option...
I've heard about Original Floyd Rose 7 string tremolo systems being installed in M207's before. I'm not sure if routing was required. Most trems these days accomodate the longer saddle lock poles on the OFR. The Schaller licensed has shorter saddle poles but there's no 7 string version of that particular tremolo system.

Takeuchi make a Lo-TRS 7 trem, Rusty Cooley has one in his guitars. That would be a shoe-in I think.

·
Neil deGrasse Tyson is my HERO.
1,053 Posts
That's odd...I've seen them floating around on different sites before.:confused:

Then again, my memory may well be playing tricks on me...
I believe Gotoh once manufactured Original Floyd Rose systems years ago, A friend of mine had an Original floyd which had 'Gotoh' stamped on the bottom but the Gotoh brand never made a 7 string version.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts