Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i really dig both of these guitars, but the necks are too C shaped for me; i was thinking of sanding them down and reshaping them to a slightly more D shaped neck.

Whats the best sand paper grit to start with for removing the paint / gloss and shaping the neck?

I read somewhere that its best to start with 400 and then finish it with 800?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)metal:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Start with 80 grit.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)metal:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Start with 80 grit.
Yea, 80, 100, something like that. Up to 220 is really for shaping, then after that its more for finishing.

I'd go with 150 personally. When you do too be of a grit, you sometimes get the surface to the right point, but then you have to sand beyond it to get the deep scratches the monster grit left.

Just make sure you do your steps of grit sequentially. You wont get out 60 or 80 grit scratches using 220 without getting schwartzineger arms.

·
sawdust aficionado
1,343 Posts
Yeah, start with 80 grit to do the bulk of the removal and shaping then 120, 180, 220, 320 and finish with steel wool. It may sound like a lot of paper but the sanding goes quicker when there is less of a difference between grits. Remember, after 80 grit, you're only sanding to remove the previous grade's scratch marks.

Good luck, take your time and be careful.

·
Born To Lose, Live To Win
111 Posts
tray a rasp to begin with - carefully. get the shape then gradually sand it up to about a 1200 wet & dry

·
sawdust aficionado
1,343 Posts
tray a rasp to begin with - carefully. get the shape then gradually sand it up to about a 1200 wet & dry
I've learned the hard way it's very easy to quickly go too far with a rasp. Unless you have a lot of material to remove or a fine tooth rasp, I'd use sand paper.

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
I usually go:

(Boiled Linseed Oil)
(Boiled Linseed Oil)
0000 steel wool

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys, so i started with the 60 grit, it took about 8 hour of on and off sanding to get the paint off to this level.

What im fighting with now is getting the lines straight at the neckjoint and headstock.

Any hints on getting the lines straight :0

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
I'm no thelp here, because the hornet is set-neck and doesn't have a volute.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Hey guys, so i started with the 60 grit, it took about 8 hour of on and off sanding to get the paint off to this level.

What im fighting with now is getting the lines straight at the neckjoint and headstock.

Any hints on getting the lines straight :0
Tape and a razor is how i did it

Just tape where you want it to stop and the scrap with a razor and sand with 150 :yesway:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts