Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had 2x Radial J48 for a couple of years, mainly for capturing guitars on live shows, but the Palmer active is without a doubt a massive bang for the buck.

I would say tho, that the Radial seems to have a more "pristine" sound quality, more highs, while the Palmer seems a little darker. But once distorted those differences are evened out

The passive Palmer is obviously not suited for passive pickups, but I tried anyway.
It sounds alright once distorted but has a higher noise gate.
COULD be used to recording a passive bass on live gigs in case you really dont have another active DI-box around, if you mix it clean and dont distort it.

However, the input level of the Radial was really high so I had to activate the -15db pad to compensate and make the signal more similar to the Palmers... or even just avoid clipping whatsoever. The passive Palmer needed preamp gain maxed out.

WINNER FOR SOUND: Radial J48
WINNER FOR BANG FOR BUCK: PALMER PAN 02 the active one (but it also has a split hair lower noise!)

In the end of the video, there's a sneak peak from one of my upcoming albums :flex:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts