Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guitar modding begins! (help will surely be needed)

I'm rewiring my Schecter, finally. Keeping the duncan designed pickup in the neck, but replacing the bridge with a Duncan custom custom, the wire colors are the same. :yesway: But, I have a 5 way rotary switch on the way and want to replace the 3 way toggle with this (ala PRS) to disguise it as another belltop knob, but the problem is I couldn't find 3 position rotary switches. The guitar already has a push/pull pot for a coil tap, so while I still want to use it...I don't know how to approach wiring it to make the other 2 positions on the rotary useful.

I'm also installing Sperzels, if anyone knows where to get a jig that isn't $38 please let me know!

I did have the idea of taking the push/pull pot out of the PT, swap it with the one in my V, so the V has single coil capabilities as well, but I'm just curious if there would be any point in having a 5 way rotary AND a push/pull pot. I can't seem to find any diagrams of such a thing either.

·
From the Grave
355 Posts
Well, you can start off by telling us what kind of rotary, what youd like the switch to do, as a dpdt can do more then just a tap. We can help with the diagrams if you want something special.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, you can start off by telling us what kind of rotary, what youd like the switch to do, as a dpdt can do more then just a tap. We can help with the diagrams if you want something special.
Well, I found this:

So, if possible I could still use the push/pull pot to coil tap the humbuckers individually which would be very useful. The switch I ordered is a 5-Position, 4-Pole Solid Shaft. Not looking to turn it into a varitone....not on this guitar at least.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wirelessly posted (Shadow: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Will a mod change the thread title, I think I'm going to turn this into my giant modifications thread. :lol:

Just left lowes with a big sheet of clear lexan, enough for 2 flying V pickguards. Ever since I posted the glowing Annihilator V I have thought I could make a pickguard and trussrod cover like that. I've got 50 ultra bright red leds on the way and a sheet of carbon fiber adhesive vinyl. My idea is to put the vinyl on the top and leave the beveled edges clear so the leds make the edge glow.

*Edit*

Ok so here's the Duraplex..

which I want to make look something like this:

I've got a adhesive vinyl sheet of this on the way to top the pickguard:

(also got 50 Ultrabright LEDs on the way :yesway:)

This will be going in the V. I really want to do the trussrod cover too, but I don't want to take the fretboard off just to run a wire for it. If I could find a on/off switch that is super thin like a blade switch, and only has two positions, with a base that could fit in the truss rod cavity, that would be perfect.

Ok i'm going to break this down for you guys, and for me so I have a list since I have 4 guitars that are all getting modded quite a bit.

Gibson V

LED edge carbon fiber pickguard
Van Zandt Truebucker (bridge)
New 3 way selector
New output jack
Push/Pull tone (coil tap)

Schecter PT

Duncan Custom Custom (bridge)
5 Way rotary (replacing 3 way switch) (Wiring diagram I made)
Sperzels (Need a jig of some sort!)
Gold belltop knobs (3, like a LP goldtop)
Chrome neck pickup ring
Cream bobbin toppers (bridge pickup...ala LP goldtop)
Pickup selector will be "hidden" as a knob

PRS SE

Duncan JB(bridge)
Zebra cream bobbin toppers
White speed knobs
Cream pickup rings
Pearloid tuner buttons

Picket Tele

Graphite nut
New Volume/Tone knob
(getting pickups too, just not yet)

and because we all love pictures, here's some pics of all the crap I have on the way/in my possession. :lol:

(Van Zandt Truebucker and Duncan JB, Sperzels for the Schecter)

·
From the Grave
355 Posts
Oops, wrong diagram...

This looks a bit complicated. :lol: I also have no idea where the pushpull pot should go.

*edit* I Took a crack at figuring it out.... does this look right? (Orange is for the spool of wiring I have)

Im not sure where to begin, but that diagram is all kinds of wrong. :nuts:
THE ORIGINAL. I wasnt even going to start the headache of follwing what you did to it. :ugh:

·
From the Grave
355 Posts
If you want to give me an idea of the scheme you want, i can try to draw up something for you. May take a couple days though, since ill be working a lot in the next few days.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
If you want to give me an idea of the scheme you want, i can try to draw up something for you. May take a couple days though, since ill be working a lot in the next few days.
All I Want to do is have normal 5 way switching with the rotary switch, and then have the push/pull (tone) pot split the pickups individually. (For example if the rotary is on the bridge pickup only, I pull up the tone knob, and it splits the bridge pickup).

I want the rotary switching to work basically like the diagram says at the top right, though if possible I wouldn't mind changing one of the parallel or series positions to both Humbuckers on.

Maybe something like:

1) Bridge Hum
2) Outer coils Parallel
3) Both Hums
4) Inner coils Parallel
5) Neck hum

Thanks for your help, and no worries... I've got a few days before the rotary switch gets here...I can just work on one of the other guitars until then. :lol:

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, now I know what I want the rotary to do exactly, but still don't know how to wire it. :lol:

I found a diagram for this minus the push/pull tone pot, but its from the same site I found the last one and if the first was wrong, this may be as well...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts