Metal Guitarist Forums banner

What will it be!?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am perfectly happy with my RG7620. I love it. However...curiosity always gets the best of me. :lol: The one good thing about being a gear whore is over time you learn what you like and what works and what doesn't...A couple of things have bitten me curiosity wise lately though...one thing being body wood. Basswood sounds good, but I'm wondering if I would like mahogany more. I only want a guitar with a nice Ibanez trem, so the S7320 made me curious. The only problem with it is the 22 frets (although I rarely if ever go to 23 or 24 it's still nice to have) and flat D shaped neck, I tend to prefer thicker rounder shaped necks...so then the Rg1527M and RG1077xl come into play, both basswood still, but with rounder thicker necks from my understanding (and the Prestige build quality doesnt hurt either!). only problem with the 1077xl being availibility and the Rg1527M i'm concerned about the pickup cavity depth if I want BKP's...I'd be worried about it for the S7320 too.

Just curious what you guys would say? Stick it out with the Rg7620, if it ain't broke don't fix it? Go with the S7320 and enjoy some mahogany goodness? Go with the RG1527M and rock some maple pwnage, or try and find an 1077xl and rock that?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
i love mahogany too. i find i play my Dean Evo 7 (mahogany) a lot just because of the tone, and it's pretty comfy to play. i still play that Loomis, too :D

have you tried a Loomis FR?

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I chose both the 1077XL and the S7320 cuz i think you should get the S but if you could find and XL i would go for that

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i love mahogany too. i find i play my Dean Evo 7 (mahogany) a lot just because of the tone, and it's pretty comfy to play. i still play that Loomis, too :D

have you tried a Loomis FR?
The only thing that bugs me about the Loomis FR are the active pickups, lack of tone knob, and minor lack of upper-fret access. All minor things, but we all know how guitarists are! :lol: I hadn't given it much thought but NOW.... :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
:D

Dan can make you some passives to fit the Loomis routes, you can get a stacked pot for volume + tone functionality (i've got this running on my XV500), and the access... i don't know :lol:

now, if you end up selling the RG7620... :wub:

·
I think too much
1,877 Posts
I voted for you to keep the 7620. Of the options available, it's your best one imo.

I like mahogany S bodies, but not RGs. I've had 3 of them, and they were all too dark sounding for me. If you're going to stay with Ibanez, keep what you've got. I had a 540s7, and didn't like how the guitar was balanced. It seemed "neck heavy" to me. Maybe that's changed with the 7320.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
If you're curious about body wood, have you thought about taking your RG to a guitar store where they've got an S7, a Hellraiser, Loomis or similar and just trying them head to head? Find a tone you like on the test amp with your RG and then swap to the other guitar. I've done this in the past, and I've seen many others do it too.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
I had a 1077, but sold it as I didn't get on with the scale, and it has got a different sound. Way more top end, soloing sounds a bit more brittle, and not enough crunch. Nice guitar, not for me, so think about that, as I'd have loved to have kept it.

I'd say varition and playability, you can always have vastly different pickups in guitars to make them all different :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts