Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I got an RGA recently and I immediately got down to changing the pups out to an 85/81. The problem is these EMGs came out of an older guitar without the solderless system. So now I have to figure out why both pups are always on regardless of the 3 way lever. The volume and tone pots both work, but both pups are always on. I already took out the tone pot as I never really use it anyway to eliminate some potential problems.

I need an diagram with 2 EMG HBs, a volume, a three way lever switch, and an Ibanez/long barrel output jack. I've redone the wiring at least three times now and still have the same issue.

Here are some pics: - Album on Imgur

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
Could be a problem with the 3way.
I mean, based on process of elimination what else could it be?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah, true. I'll check out that wiring and get back to you guys. Thanks for the diagram dude!

Okay, so apparently it was the three way. I switched it out and the 3 way finally works. However, I still get just a bit of the bridge or neck when I'm on the opposite position. Crossed wires?

Also, can I just have both pup outputs soldered onto the volume pot together? Like one glob of solder for both pups and then onto the casing?

Another question, is the first volume pot prong supposed to be soldered onto the casing? That's currently how I have it.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Be sure that the plugs on the bottom of both pups are connected correctly. You should be able to see the exposed connectors in the plug. If one of them is upside down, you'll get the symptom you described.

·
Pinnacle to the Pit
485 Posts
Also, can I just have both pup outputs soldered onto the volume pot together? Like one glob of solder for both pups and then onto the casing?
The pickups outputs should be soldered to the switch, not the pot. The braided part (the ground) of the pickups wires should be soldered to the volume pot casing. And it doesn't matter whether they're soldered in one glob or separately. They're touching the same thing.

Another question, is the first volume pot prong supposed to be soldered onto the casing? That's currently how I have it.
Yes, as you can see from the wiring diagram, the outside lug on the pot is grounded to the casing.

If you wire it up exactly according to the diagram, you should be just fine. :yesway:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 3 way was bad, after I switched that out, the tone pot also turned out to be bad. Maybe from the excess soldering haha. I could have sworn it was working in the previous guitar, but I probably didn't do it thoroughly enough to realize beforehand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts