Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy's videos are fantastic. I've watched a bunch of his production breakdowns, where he tells you how/what was used to record/mix various records, but in this instance he's breaking down the theory.

I've always loved the perfect 4th harmonies of AIC, it's instantly recognisable, but hearing them broken down like this on piano, and hearing them really work with the riff is just awesome.

EDIT: Something that stood out to me - The amount of gain on that first solo!! Sounds like it's going to explode!

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
Rick and Adam Neely are hands-down my two favorite YouTubers.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
This is awesome.

Is this AIC's producer? I've never heard of him. If not, how did he get these raw tracks?

·
Registered
188 Posts
This is awesome.

Is this AIC's producer? I've never heard of him. If not, how did he get these raw tracks?
Nah, from memory - I think the early album producers were Rick Parashar on Facelift & SAP, Dave Jerden on Dirt, then Toby Wright for Jar of Flies and Self Titled.

While Rick Beato is a producer in his own right I think a lot of his industry buddies have given him some session tracks. He was quizzed about it in a reply to a YouTube video and his answer was along the lines of "I'm not at liberty to say who gave me these".

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
This is awesome, thanks for sharing it Matt. AIC are one of my favourite bands, and this is one of my favourite songs ever

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
This is totally awesome. And also makes me wish I understood music theory to even a degree of what this guy does.

#backtoschool

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I caught this one the other day and watched all the other Breaking Down vids he has. I've dug on his channel for a while now after first seeing those Matt Wallace/Randy Staub vids. LOVE the content and information. The way he broke down the vocal harmonies over the chord progression was awesome. I can sit here and write as much shit as I want that I think is awesome but I'll never have the drive to learn theory like that.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While Rick Beato is a producer in his own right I think a lot of his industry buddies have given him some session tracks.
:agreed:

He even has Black Album stems (check out the Metallica one in this series).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts