Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
GMaj/2 for the effects, imo.

I had that cab for a year or two - it's great. :yesway: Nice score sir, very respectable rig!

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
That rig looks nice and clean, and I'm sure it will sound monstrous! Congrats :yesway: Are you keeping it at home for now? Because if you are, I'd definitely recommend a hot plate of some sort. When I had my 6505 at home I couldn't get a decent tone out of it before I bought my hot plate, just due to the noise issues. Unless of course you don't care how loudly you play at home, in which case, props :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Those 212's are sweet, my friend has one for his Traynor.

1. Buy speaker cable now, fool!
2. Mod a TS7
3. Congrats!

·
Registered
2 Posts
That rig looks nice and clean, and I'm sure it will sound monstrous! Congrats :yesway: Are you keeping it at home for now? Because if you are, I'd definitely recommend a hot plate of some sort. When I had my 6505 at home I couldn't get a decent tone out of it before I bought my hot plate, just due to the noise issues. Unless of course you don't care how loudly you play at home, in which case, props :lol:
With the DR you can dial down the FX loop and make the amp push harder at lower volumes. I run through a 4x12 and it is fine using that method, so the 2x12 should be even better. Also, don't bother pulling tubes as you may find suggested on other forums - the volume difference is negligible.

I have the TS9 and Fulltone OCD. I like the OCD better through the DR.

Enjoy the beast. It is a great amp.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Win, dude. I can always respect hard work for a good deal. :yesway:

Axe-Fx. :yesway: :D
Maybe once the FX only version comes out and if it retails for a good price :scream:

GMaj/2 for the effects, imo.

I had that cab for a year or two - it's great. :yesway: Nice score sir, very respectable rig!
Thanks, I'll look into that!

I'm going to be keeping it at home and use it with my death metal project. I can turn it up all I want as nobody living me me really minds other than my dad but he's pretty reasonable as far as playing loudly goes as well :)

Those 212's are sweet, my friend has one for his Traynor.

1. Buy speaker cable now, fool!
2. Mod a TS7
3. Congrats!
:squint:

:yesway:

I don't get mine for another two months :(
It's OK, wait it out and find a good deal. Score 2700 dollars worth of gear for 1150 :lol:

With the DR you can dial down the FX loop and make the amp push harder at lower volumes. I run through a 4x12 and it is fine using that method, so the 2x12 should be even better. Also, don't bother pulling tubes as you may find suggested on other forums - the volume difference is negligible.

I have the TS9 and Fulltone OCD. I like the OCD better through the DR.

Enjoy the beast. It is a great amp.
Excellent idea is excellent. Thanks :metal:

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
damn sicktastic rig! :metal:

I think the Loomis is quite appropriate :)

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
You'd be surprised how good the amp will sound on it's own unboosted when it's cranked up. At a low volume, a powerbrake is almost essential to getting a tight sound. Drew's Roadster sounds incredible at low volume with his powerbrake engaged.

Boosts are cool, but to be honest most kill the bass too much for my liking. I'd much more recommend a good high quality compressor with a level knob on it, so you can compress the sound and boost the signal cleanly with one pedal giving you a cutting aggressive sound without extra noise and without dropping out your bass. A second idea would be to pony up $180 for a BB Preamp pedal. It's a smooth overdrive that doesn't cut any bass out of your sound and gives you a thick and creamy chunky metal sound when you couple it with a recto head.

I'm just trying to give you some out-of-the-box ideas that might be different to try and possibly better than the staple TS9 in front of the amp.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You'd be surprised how good the amp will sound on it's own unboosted when it's cranked up. At a low volume, a powerbrake is almost essential to getting a tight sound. Drew's Roadster sounds incredible at low volume with his powerbrake engaged.

Boosts are cool, but to be honest most kill the bass too much for my liking. I'd much more recommend a good high quality compressor with a level knob on it, so you can compress the sound and boost the signal cleanly with one pedal giving you a cutting aggressive sound without extra noise and without dropping out your bass. A second idea would be to pony up $180 for a BB Preamp pedal. It's a smooth overdrive that doesn't cut any bass out of your sound and gives you a thick and creamy chunky metal sound when you couple it with a recto head.

I'm just trying to give you some out-of-the-box ideas that might be different to try and possibly better than the staple TS9 in front of the amp.
Actually after playing this for a good 40 minutes I feel it's pretty tight and very responsive (all my mistakes are no longer hidden!). I'm probably going to skimp out on a boost for now. The only annoying thing is the fizz!

Although do you guys think a boost would help saturate everything more? I'm trying to nail a really creamy smooth tone like Guthrie's on erotic cakes at the moment...

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Yes a boost adds a bit more saturation - my chaos modded TS7 does a good job of adding some bite to my sound while still letting me have a beefy tone.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
i use an mxr gt-od in front of my VHT sig x its a really nice boost and it doesnt suck the bass out. id recommend trying it out if your shopping around for a boost.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm kind of getting tired of the Tubescreamer boost sound. I find it's like 50% as bad as EMGs, almost, in that it tends to colour everything with "that sound". Not nearly as bad as EMGs, but still, it's fucking everywhere :lol:
It's OK, my rig is already about as average as it gets. Loomis into dual rectifier :lol:

Anybody have any idea where I can grab a footswitch for this though?

I tried craigslist but people don't want to sell them without selling the whole thing. :scream:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts