Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be buying another amp, or preamp/power amp first of the year (tax time) and while I have a ways to go, I want to go ahead and start working on what I ideally want and what I can actually afford. Right now, I am running a Mesa single rect, and a 5150 cab with Lexicon rack effects, and a DBX noise gate (and a few pedals). I am basing what I want loosely on Devin Townsend's SYL rig. (here's a picture of that rig)

I want to take this idea, but instead of the Stiletto, I will be getting an Engl E530/Marshall Monoblock (50/50), and I was thinking just to make it a bit more compact, for the Wet cabs, I will just get an ADA preamp or something and use one side of the Marshall for the ENGL, and the other side for the Wet amp/cabs.

My main question is what exactly do I need to make it so I can run All three amps into a MIDI board and switch channels, effects, and stomp boxes (just a couple ODs and a wah) all with a single button press. I don't want to run 3 separate amps, I want to run all three as if they were one amp.

Also just looking for some opinions and ideas to make this simpler or cheaper.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
An Axe-FX + stereo tube amp will be simpler, cheaper, and easier to handle, and much easier to control. And it'll do wet/dry. And I'm not even someone who really wants one, so I'm not just shilling for it. That SYL rig is for professional arena-touring bandleaders only who have a LOT of money to spend and someone to do all the programming/setup/haul everything.

Also, unless it is *your* band (as it is in Devin's case,) you don't even need more than one amp to create your highs and lows for you... one amp can do it just fine and you won't have to wrestle with your bassist for frequency space.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Josh said:
That SYL rig is for pros and roadies only who have a LOT of money to spend and someone to do all the programming/setup/haul everything.
I'll have everything but a lot of money to spend, and after a month or so on the road i'll also have the money to spend. :yesway:

Its not my band per say, but I want to take on the country world with an epic rig of doom, that I can also use to its full potential in a band that IS mine. Devy's tone live was completely crushing, and though I won't really have crushing tone with the country gig, I want something that isn't just the average. I may hold off on the 3rd preamp for a bit, and just go with the Mesa/Engl setup for a while. I think I could make that work well, but I wouldn't be able to decide which one I would want as my Dry/Wet rig....Engl or Mesa? Thats a tough decision for me. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Keep in mind that Devin himself now uses the Axe-Fx to do similar things, and much more besides, in a much more portable, affordable, and easier to set up context.

Plus, with the AFX you could actually get some Bassman or Vox cleans for when you need to do more "traditional" country sounds.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Keep in mind that Devin himself now uses the Axe-Fx to do similar things, and much more besides, in a much more portable, affordable, and easier to set up context.

Plus, with the AFX you could actually get some Bassman or Vox cleans for when you need to do more "traditional" country sounds.
:agreed: And, as you said, if you really want to bi-amp you can do that, as well as have completely separate "rigs" for different sounds. I'm rocking a slightly pushed Fender Twin Reverb clean, then I go to a 5150 or Mark IIC+ for high-gain and layer shit on top for solos. :2cents:

Would love to see a killer Country setup.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
It feels weird actually arguing for the Axe-FX :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
It feels weird actually arguing for the Axe-FX :lol:
Yeah? :lol: For a non-djent-kiddie, too. :)

Still, you're totally right. I would think if one wanted to stick with a real amp, something like a Mark series would give your primary country flavors right away. Or just a couple of combos, like a Bassman and an Egnater or something. :shrug:

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah? :lol: For a non-djent-kiddie, too. :)

Still, you're totally right. I would think if one wanted to stick with a real amp, something like a Mark series would give your primary country flavors right away. Or just a couple of combos, like a Bassman and an Egnater or something. :shrug:
Country really isn't country anymore man. Its more like pop with a tiny bit of class. They have also grown to accept boutique amps and guitars, and actually the majority of them are using this stuff now. I may try out an AFX later down the line, but I would like to stick with real amps for now. The AFX would be a bit out of my price range for the time being as i'm also going to replace the 5150 cab with some nice Avatar cabs or something similar. I wouldn't mind a Mark series amp at all, I guess right now, I want something that isn't a Mesa since i've already got a Mesa if that makes any sense.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I'm not saying that your Mesa and the like won't get modern country tones. But, why do you need an ultra-heavy-sounding biamped rig used as the dry half of a wet/dry rig for pop country? Seems like overkill, and like something that wouldn't see much use in that musical context.

It's much easier to save after the tour and spend the money that you would spend otherwise on another amp head towards an AFX that will do everything in that gigantic rig diagram you posted on the first page.

I'm not trying to kill your buzz (everyone loves gear here) but I simply don't see the need for such a monstrosity.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.