Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I hope I'm not the only one with this problem and that you can give me some advice regarding my situation. I'm having problems doing fast alternate picking (metal rhythm) and I'm thinking that my right hand technique might be the problem. So i see a lot of people holding their pick with fingers loose, however for me it is extremely uncomfortable playing like this. I hold the pick with a closed fist grip, which feels very natural for me. The only problem with this grip is that it feels weird playing fast alternate picking on the 6th string. I've started learning 'That was just your life' by Metallica and the beginning part, where you have to alternate fast between down-picking and alternate picking, i keep screwing up on the alternate picking, it just feels week and passive. I've tried switching to fingers loose grip, as it seems easier doing alternate picking on the 6th string however it just feels so weird holding the pick this way so i eventually get back to the closed fist grip. Right now my guitar is in standard tuning and my strings are light top heavy bottom.
So the question is, do you think i should stick with my technique and just try playing slowly or switch to loose fingers grip and try to get used to it. Is it possible to play fast metal rhythm with a closed fist grip? Is my 6th string to thick maybe for me?

Thanks

ps: by the way when i tune down the guitar, its a little easier playing rhythm.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
So the question is, do you think i should stick with my technique and just try playing slowly or switch to loose fingers grip and try to get used to it. Is it possible to play fast metal rhythm with a closed fist grip? Is my 6th string to thick maybe for me?
The thing is, I started out with a loose finger type grip, and moved to a closed grip because the closed grip has more economy of motion -- assuming you don't have a death grip on the pick. However, even with an open grip, I was able to learn how to play the fastest parts of the fastest, hardest Iced Earth songs (Metal Rhythm Guitar Gold Standard: Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider). After moving to a closed grip there were no issues.

As far as string thickness, when I had guitars, i used a .065 for a Low B string and had no issues with picking speed there.

I think its just a matter of practicing speed with a metronome and playing along with older Iced Earth discs. :yesway:

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Also, the right plec will help as well. I find Dunlop 3mm stubby's most suitable for fast picking/triplets. Jazz III's are good too..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts