Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RIM PlayBook release date April 19, priced at $499 - Mar. 22, 2011

he 16 gigabyte PlayBook will cost $499, a 32GB version is $599 and a 64GB is $699.

The PlayBook is smaller than the iPad, with a 7-inch screen. It's built around a new platform from QNX Software Systems, and it features Flash-capable video plus a front and rear high-definition camera. The PlayBook runs on a 1 GHz dual-core processor and includes 1 GB of RAM.

Each of the PlayBook models is Wi-Fi enabled, though they cannot connect to 3G without tethering to a BlackBerry.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Shouldn't be much of a surprise, but I'm likely getting this. :lol:

Yes, it's only 7", but when they do release a 10" version, I'll likely upgrade to that. The fact that this will sync with my blackberry and display my BBM's and shit will actually be quite useful when at home.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A smaller tablet is actually more appealing to me, as a guy that spends a lot of time on planes. I love my iPad, but somewhere inbetween my phone and the size of the Apple tablet would be great.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
I didn't mind the size of the Galaxy Tab I saw at bestbuy the other day, but it ran like utterly laggy shit.

Samsung just announced an 8.9" Tab running on Android 3.0 today as well.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Tab sitting next to me - it is a great size, and I don't mind Android, but yeah - it runs like ass.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
$499 seems steep for a 7" device, IMO...
I don't think they'll end up going for that.

I think the market will evolve slightly from the iPad2 (but not drastically) and I think we could end up seeing these being around $350-$400.

They look very interesting to me... One of the tablets I would actually consider, and I'm sure there are a lot of other consumers out there thinking the same thing.

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
I love my iPad, but somewhere inbetween my phone and the size of the Apple tablet would be great.
Holy shit i'm not alone! :lol: Anything bigger than 7" is useless for me since I have a netbook that I get fantastic battery life and performance out of. So something in-between my phone and that would be perfect.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Yeah, the touchpad is also something I'm looking forward to, since I was an early WebOS adopter.

If it wasn't for the shitty Pre hardware, or if they could have released more than 3 phones in two form factors over the course of 2 years, I'd probably still be on that platform.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Not really, considering its specs. I'd take this or the HP TouchPad over any Android tablet. However the 7" is really too small for me.
I think thats mostly because of how you feel about Android :) I doubt HP is going to be able to coax a ton of app support on its already dead WebOS platform. Blackberry might be better but the 2 big players will ultimately be Apple and Google.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I think thats mostly because of how you feel about Android :) I doubt HP is going to be able to coax a ton of app support on its already dead WebOS platform. Blackberry might be better but the 2 big players will ultimately be Apple and Google.
Well yeah, of course. It continues to feel like a half-assed, hacked together experience depending on which one we're talking about :fawk:. Since the Playbook is controlled by RIM, and the Touchpad is controlled by HP, it's more appealing to me because I think those two companies actually have the capability to put out a focused product.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Well yeah, of course. It continues to feel like a half-assed, hacked together experience depending on which one we're talking about :fawk:. Since the Playbook is controlled by RIM, and the Touchpad is controlled by HP, it's more appealing to me because I think those two companies actually have the capability to put out a focused product.
Focused wouldnt matter much without the apps :yesway: Considering how much traction WebOS got as a phone platform, I dont see it taking off. They also really late to market, both of them. Even Honeycomb was too late, IMO. Google knew Apple was making a tablet they should have been ready.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Focused wouldnt matter much without the apps :yesway: Considering how much traction WebOS got as a phone platform, I dont see it taking off. They also really late to market, both of them. Even Honeycomb was too late, IMO. Google knew Apple was making a tablet they should have been ready.
Maybe, maybe not. You might be overestimating the general public. While I enjoy the wide range of apps on the iPad, many people just want something that browses the Internet, has the core apps (Twitter, Facebook, Maps, etc.) and some games, but more importantly a good user experience. That could be enough for most people.

Additionally, there is no single company selling Android tablets that is as strong as HP is, and now that they're putting WebOS on everything, that could significantly turn the tide. As for RIM, well they're so well-entrenched in business that that could be a significant selling point, if they can successfully integrate it with BES. Android is a cool OS, and the Xoom in particular a nice tablet, but the whole platform simply sucks for business, IMO. They don't have the tools that RIM or even Apple do, and unless they've fixed it since 2.2, Android doesn't even work with Exchange correctly.

I think that competition is great, and I'm quite interested to see what HP in particular does, because I think WebOS is quite cool. Competition will push Google to reassess whether or not their planned fragmented scheme of letting OEMs do whatever the fuck they want was such a good idea or not.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. You might be overestimating the general public. While I enjoy the wide range of apps on the iPad, many people just want something that browses the Internet, has the core apps (Twitter, Facebook, Maps, etc.) and some games, but more importantly a good user experience. That could be enough for most people.

Additionally, there is no single company selling Android tablets that is as strong as HP is, and now that they're putting WebOS on everything, that could significantly turn the tide. As for RIM, well they're so well-entrenched in business that that could be a significant selling point, if they can successfully integrate it with BES. Android is a cool OS, and the Xoom in particular a nice tablet, but the whole platform simply sucks for business, IMO. They don't have the tools that RIM or even Apple do, and unless they've fixed it since 2.2, Android doesn't even work with Exchange correctly.

I think that competition is great, and I'm quite interested to see what HP in particular does, because I think WebOS is quite cool. Competition will push Google to reassess whether or not their planned fragmented scheme of letting OEMs do whatever the fuck they want was such a good idea or not.
I owned a Pre before my Droid, no thanks. HP also has no mobile presence, dont see that changing. Competition is great but HP doesn't have any to offer.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I owned a Pre before my Droid, no thanks. HP also has no mobile presence, dont see that changing. Competition is great but HP doesn't have any to offer.
That's funny; I seem to recall you singing it's praises, until you jumped head first into the Android craze. :lol:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts