Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
Just came here to post this. Absolutely gutted, he was such a big influence in me wanting to improve as a guitarist/musician during my teens. So glad I got to see him live a couple of times before he died.

RIP :(

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
RIP :(

Saw him in concert quite a few times, and he was an absolute genius. He was up there in Coltrane territory as far as hearing/experiencing music on a different level than the rest of us.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Wow, that is totally out of the blue. RIP Allan, thanks for all the awesome music.

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
I don't really see a reason to be sad about it as death is just another fact of life, although I'm sure it's different for his family. Important thing is he did a great deal of awesome stuff in his life. All I really have to say besides that is thanks, Allan for the shred.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
I remember seeing this Marshall Harrison video a few years back and thinking, 'man, he has a point', then going off and trying to learn a bunch of Holdsworth.

Marshall Harrison said:
I think not enough people have talked about and written about this man, Allan Holdsworth, and his playing. He's just a musical miracle, as far as I'm concerned, and it really would behoove all of us to study what he does and learn as much as we can from him.
Edit: I spent most of yesterday evening listening to him, and it's incredible how much of a shadow he has cast on music and guitar playing. His influence on fusion is so deep, it's part of the furniture now. Fusion guitarists are following a path basically plowed by him. And so many metal shredders, even if they're not directly influenced by him, they're influenced by players who were.

He was only 70, by the way. Obviously there's no good time to die, but that is pretty early, and he still had a lot of music left to give. A real shame. Bust your guitars out, practice some outrageous shapes and legato, and raise a beer for him.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
This breaks my heart... First O'Neill and now Holdsworth. :(

I pray that their families, friends and fans will heal.

These deaths were just both so unexpected and it's hurts even more because of such.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
RIP Mr. Holdsworth.

He really was on a different plane to everybody else when it came to music. So much so that at times I think it was difficult for him to get his ideas over to us mere mortals. And if there was ever a prime example of somebody not getting anywhere near the recognition that they deserve, it was Al. Somehow he was still 'paying his dues' almost. I'm sure he's up there right now having a couple of ales and shredding away.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Man, he wasn't exactly a young man, but you don't expect this at 70. :(

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
damn didn't see this coming, such a big loss. RIP Allan, you were one hell of a guitar player.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts