Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sad to hear that Garry Shider, the longtime lead vocalist, guitarist and band director of Parliament-Funkadelic passed away yesterday of cancer. The guy rarely wore anything but a diaper onstage for almost 35 years (his persona in the band was "Starchild"), but he was in many ways the backbone of PFunk--even more than George Clinton, who was often too fucked-up to do anything useful. He was a primary songwriter, singer and guitarist on such Funkadelic classics as "Cosmic Slop" and "One Nation Under A Groove", but he was a main writer of almost all the great PFunk stuff, along with George, Bootsy Collins and Bernie Worrell.

Here's a couple of my favorite PFunk videos featuring Garry.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Shit! I just passed on seeing them too thinking I'd cath em next time

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Shit! I just passed on seeing them too thinking I'd cath em next time
Like an idiot I missed Garry's last full PFunk show, here in DC a few months back. He had just gotten his cancer diagnosis, and it was sort of a tribute show. They played until the 9:30 Club shut off the power.

He appeared with them here and there over the last few months, but he couldn't really tour. I'm sure they'll go on (George Clinton has plenty of bills to pay), but it'll never be quite the same without Garry.

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
:( RIP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.