Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ridiculously gifted actor especially suited to making even the most over the top villains seem real, ridiculously sensitive/generous nice guy. Only got his due in his last film role. Fucking crushed. Surprised I didn't see this til now. News is a couple days old.

Also appeared in The Blood of Heroes, with the equally massive underrated Rutger Hauer. A movie that, while flawed and kistchy, was fucking way ahead of its time. "The Hunger Games" pretty much ripped off its premise wholesale.

Could do a fucking lot with minimal screen time. The first Mad Max is a weird movie, because the series didn't become post apocalyptic until Mad Max II, but all of the best scenes in it are his. "The Nightrider, look at him when you remember the night sky" scene is iconic.

Dude pretty much carried the Mad Max franchise and made it iconic and taken seriously as a genre defining post apocalyptic story. All the menacing gravitas in that series was him.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also doesn't get recognition for being the best "shirtless scene" actor in history. People think "shirtless scenes in action movies" are all like, mega ripped X-men triple AAA dudes with nutritionists.

Dude had all of the best shirtless scenes in action movie history. No one else could have made that costume menacing and believable. :lol:

The behind the scenes stuff where he goes from like, this nice old zany Grandpa to Immortan Joe in a split second is unbelievable. He took a physique that most people don't associate with "ultra menacing villain" and made it work. All of the marvel movies and shit put their villains played by dudes in their 30s on strict diets and get them top of the line personal trainers, and then heavily edit everything in post to look like mega ripped bad guys, and somehow they aren't even a tenth as good.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the secret of Fury Road, without his ridiculously charismatic performance as a villain who thinks of himself as a messianic figure who has somehow convinced a shit ton of other people to think of him as a messianic figure, none of the other performances would have held up.

In spite of being the main evil villain, he's somehow also the most likable character in the movie by a huge margin. Fury Road has some of the most ridiculously over the top dialogue of all time, but you don't notice how ridiculously over the top it is because it's believable that everyone would follow him as a messianic figure. His first scene is telling people dying of thirst that they shouldn't be greedy and drink too much water. :lol:

He's not even in some of the best scenes in the movie, but they only work because of his character being believable as someone people would consider a godlike authority.

I hope the follow up is great and can't wait to see it. But so much of Fury Road was only great because his character was entirely believable and incredibly charismatic.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also wore not only the greatest codpiece in cinematic history, but the greatest codpiece in codpiece history period.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
An absolute legend, and even though i have (i think?!) only seen him in the two Mad Max roles, some of those scenes will stick with me for life. His appearance as Toecutter is a benchmark for awesomeness and i was super hyped when i heard that he would also be the villain in Fury Road - and he did deliver.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
In spite of being the main evil villain, he's somehow also the most likable character in the movie by a huge margin..
Disagree here. Nux steals the likable character show just as much as Charlize Theron steals the everything else show. Everything about that movie rules.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Disagree here. Nux steals the likable character show just as much as Charlize Theron steals the everything else show. Everything about that movie rules.
Suppose I didn't articulate that well, I'm not saying his performance was better than theirs, but him being believable is the lynchpin performance of the movie, both Nux and Imperator Furiousa have character arcs and motivations driven by their relation to Immortan Joe. If he wasn't such an iconic villain, the reviews would have been like, "X actor/actress nobly tries their hardest to save movie with a brilliant performance".

Even the tie in game, which isn't that great a game by any means, but has some great world building/characters and is sort of a prequel storywise, is pretty Immortan Joe centric.

That's part of the reason the ridiculousness that was Thunderdome killed the franchise for decades, the whole "post apocalyptic slang" thing is really hard to sell.

That and the whole cheesy "max leads a tribe of children" was a worse third movie introduction than Ewoks, and at least Star Wars has an excuse for their twists that suck, since they are designed to sell action figures.

The movies only flaw was the lack of saxophone solos and obscure Ibanez DT-250 destroyer models in red being unconvincely mock strummed by Tina Turner.

I hope the Fury Road follow up has a saxophone centric version of the sick doof warrior rig from Fury Road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts