Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
This is a sad day. :(

I'm still very puzzled as to why we don't have a simple rocket/capsule design that is capable NOW to launch US astronauts into low earth orbit and to the ISS. Instead we're going to pay 70 million for a seat on the Russian Soyuz while commercial ventures run around and try to recreate the wheel for something NASA did 50 years ago. The whole situation confuses me.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
I've got some hope for the future, but it is a sad day. Renting space on a Russian rocket - I bet Reagan is spinning in his grave!

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I'm still very puzzled as to why we don't have a simple rocket/capsule design that is capable NOW to launch US astronauts into low earth orbit and to the ISS. Instead we're going to pay 70 million for a seat on the Russian Soyuz while commercial ventures run around and try to recreate the wheel for something NASA did 50 years ago. The whole situation confuses me.

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
I realize this all stems from Bush's misguided space vision but I still can't figure out how someone didn't see the need to fill the void of time between the Shuttle and the next space craft to get us beyond Earth's orbit. I know it's not as simple as it sounds but I think NASA has been doing this long enough that it shouldn't be this monumental task to have a manned system for low Earth orbit up and running without having to spend billions on design and testing or take years to develop. When you look back at how rudimentary the Mercury capsule was in the 60's it makes me wonder how we can't take all the knowledge we've acquired over the years and create a modern/safer version of that.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I realize this all stems from Bush's misguided space vision but I still can't figure out how someone didn't see the need to fill the void of time between the Shuttle and the next space craft to get us beyond Earth's orbit. I know it's not as simple as it sounds but I think NASA has been doing this long enough that it shouldn't be this monumental task to have a manned system for low Earth orbit up and running without having to spend billions on design and testing or take years to develop. When you look back at how rudimentary the Mercury capsule was in the 60's it makes me wonder how we can't take all the knowledge we've acquired over the years and create a modern/safer version of that.
It isn't that simple, but it is indicative of the greater problem. Kennedy got us into space by making it us versus the Russians. It was an extension of patriotism, and that was really effective, right up until November 9, 1989. Without the boogieman of evil communism to fight, we started turning into a nation of Roger's. "NASA spends how much on a rocket? What does that do for me?" We kept electing people who just don't care about the space program, and view NASA as wasting money on big ticket items, when a simple look at the bottom line shows that the innovations ultimately net far more revenue than they spend (try to say that about the military).

The moon? We've already been there. Water on Mars? Who cares, we have problems on Earth. They want to send a satellite where? I thought Pluto wasn't even a planet anymore! Kids still want to grow up to be baseball players, movie stars, and rock gods, but not so much astronauts. This is the Internet generation, and they much rather update their status on Facebook than watch a shuttle launch. It's not like the school day came to a stop for the "routine boredom" of watching the shuttle ferry the next part up to the ISS.

:(

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
It isn't that simple, but it is indicative of the greater problem. Kennedy got us into space by making it us versus the Russians. It was an extension of patriotism, and that was really effective, right up until November 9, 1989. Without the boogieman of evil communism to fight, we started turning into a nation of Roger's. "NASA spends how much on a rocket? What does that do for me?" We kept electing people who just don't care about the space program, and view NASA as wasting money on big ticket items, when a simple look at the bottom line shows that the innovations ultimately net far more revenue than they spend (try to say that about the military).

The moon? We've already been there. Water on Mars? Who cares, we have problems on Earth. They want to send a satellite where? I thought Pluto wasn't even a planet anymore! Kids still want to grow up to be baseball players, movie stars, and rock gods, but not so much astronauts. This is the Internet generation, and they much rather update their status on Facebook than watch a shuttle launch. It's not like the school day came to a stop for the "routine boredom" of watching the shuttle ferry the next part up to the ISS.

I know it's not that simple and you're right that most people today view the space program as a waste of taxpayers money or just a plane waste in general. I also totally agree Kennedy had the right situation to push the space program ahead with the us against them attitude, but it's still hard to swallow what's happening here today.
It's easy to say this now but a real Mars vision should have been in place in the early 90's. It's just sad to me that China has all these plans in place for a trip to the moon and construction of their own space station and yet we're trying to figure out how to get our own astronauts into low Earth orbit in the next five years. There's just something wrong with that scenario.

·
The Assassin
100 Posts
when a simple look at the bottom line shows that the innovations ultimately net far more revenue than they spend (try to say that about the military).

amen! :rofl:

·
The Assassin
100 Posts

·
MAMMALHAMMER
520 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/S273) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I don't see the point of sending people into orbit whatsoever. I think whatever benefit there is to just sending people right past the atmosphere was reaped long ago. The government is so broken that who even cares. I'm in the generation that probably won't ever get to retire.

If everything in the world were the way i wanted we would be flying through space at the speed of light or faster. In the meantime though with pathetic combustion as our only propulsion there is no point in anything manned. The meat popsicles will be spoiled in transit to anywhere.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts