Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riverworld (TV 2010) - IMDb

I want to like this so badly, because Helo (Tahmoh Penikett) was one of my favorite characters from BSG and he's the main character. (The french dude that plays Felix is also in it).

I watched the pilot last night (it's on Netflix) and though it gets better towards the end, it still... Well.. Sucks. :\

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I LOVED the first book, but man, just couldn't make it through the second. I think I watched another movie based on it, some SciFi made-for-tv thing. Pretty poor take on an interesting story.

Maybe this one just wasn't meant for the screen?

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Shitty TV version of a shitty book

Phillip Jose Farmer isnt a very good author IMO.

(Dark is the Sun :barf: )

EDIT

Leon you liked the first book ? :noplease:

The whole premise is just completely unbelievable

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Stupid Motorola Backflip: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.0.13.37.MB300.ATT.en.US Flex/P014) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

I think I caught the older SciFi movie/mini-series a while back. Interesting concept, but I couldn't get into it. Or that might have been Earthsea. Can't remember.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Stupid Motorola Backflip: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.0.13.37.MB300.ATT.en.US Flex/P014) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

I think I caught the older SciFi movie/mini-series a while back. Interesting concept, but I couldn't get into it. Or that might have been Earthsea. Can't remember.
I could never really get into the Earthsea books either. (I didnt catch any of it on sci fi tho)

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So is a bunch of people walking across a huge plot of land to throw a ring that makes you invisible into a volcano, while fending off wraiths, orc, etc., and being helped by walking trees. But, hey, that one did pretty well, didn't it?
RW doesn't throw the gauntlet down and bring out elves, dwarves and fireball-flinging wizards though. They try to spin the sociology angle, and fail.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
So is a bunch of people walking across a huge plot of land to throw a ring that makes you invisible into a volcano, while fending off wraiths, orc, etc., and being helped by walking trees. But, hey, that one did pretty well, didn't it?
:scratch: did I say anything about LOTRO??? No I didn't. There is suspension of belief and then there is complete absurdity. Even fantasy should have some basis in reality - but a tale when every last person on earth is resurrected on a weather controlled alien planet....:roll2:

Farmer wanted to be the Next Michael Moorcock (Or Harry Harrison, or Norman Spinrad) - a swing and a miss IMO. He was very original tho. Something that a lot of authors of that period cannot claim (I am looking at you Lin Carter).

Le Guin was pretty original and influenced a lot of later authors but much like others of the period like Fritz Lieber, Clifford Simack & Lin Carter she was routinely outclassed by newer work.

I would say that of SCI/FI & Fantasy authors of the 60s she was mediocre compared to the likes of Zelazny, Harrison and especially Heinlein. Le Guin's best book was probably The Left Hand of Darkness - a Very Very controversial novel.

Consider that A clockwork orange, Stranger in a Strange Land, Dune, Logans Run, Slaughterhouse Five, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (basis for bladerunner) and Ringworld came out between 1960 and 70.

I have several thousand books (well over half are Sci fi & fantasy)
I am hyper critical of fiction in this genre now (call me the Dave of Sci Fi & Fantasy novels) :rofl:

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
:scratch: did I say anything about LOTRO??? No I didn't. There is suspension of belief and then there is complete absurdity. Even fantasy should have some basis in reality - but a tale when every last person on earth is resurrected on a weather controlled alien planet....:roll2:
:
Kinda like how all of humanity is used as a battery in the Matrix?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
It's my favorite Matrix flub.

Human body thermal energy <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Fucking fusion for christ's sake.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.