Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
as per the title really!

I'm looking at a half decent solid 2x12 for the framus cobra. I've got a set of nicely worn in V30's i intend on keeping for now, so i'm looking for a decent cab to do the amp justice.

a lot of people recommended a Zilla FatBoy as they have a monstrous reputation, but I've also seen a roadkill Stag and i've heard one or two people say they are as good as Zilla's but about £50 cheaper, and they are having a sale at the moment.

does anyone have any experience with the two and how they compare? I know Toe-Knee has one or two , but i don't know if he has compared one side by side with a Zilla.

and i don't give a shit about going used, so would anyone recommend a used cab over the Zilla/Roadkill? My budget is about £250 (i can stretch a little extra for the Zilla but don't want to go mental) so a Mesa is out of the equation.

I've also heard the Mesa's get very boomy with the Cobra as they are oversized - I've no idea how true that statement is - but would that mean the Fatboy is equally boomy?

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Can you try the cabs at all?

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
both are custom made, and roadkills are made to order apparently - they don't have a 'stock' as such, they build one as each order comes in.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Personally having used both, I prefer the Zilla's, this is why I own two of them :lol: there's not much in it, but the Zilla seems a bit tighter and clearer.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice one, thanks Ant. Was that using similar speakers in both though? I'm wondering how much a difference they would have made too.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I'd say they're definitely very close. It all depends what you want really.

My roadkill that Ant tried was designed specifically for my amp well a revision of it that i've since moved on.

I presume Zilla can do this too.

Both cabs sound excellent and both companies give great customer service. I'd personally lean towards Roadkills as zillas are a bit boomy for my personal taste but you may like that.

Edit: Also worth noting is that my cab isn't one of the standard options (stag,badger etc) It was a complete ground up build.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah cool, thanks toe-knee, so it's not an off the shelf comparison then. I don't want a boomy cab, I've had enough of the boomy from my fallen angel and don't want another amp like that lol

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Ah cool, thanks toe-knee, so it's not an off the shelf comparison then. I don't want a boomy cab, I've had enough of the boomy from my fallen angel and don't want another amp like that lol
Boomy to me could be chunky to you. This is the main problem I find when recommending cabs to people.

I think really you need to try them first but in this case it isn't really feasable.

My suggestion would be to give Tom & Paul a ring and see what they have to say then go with whichever you personally feel best about after the calls.

I also just noticed that you have Cobra. I believe they have a Baxandall tonestack which should help you to keep things focused frequency wise with a good cab.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the advice chaps. Toe-knee - if you dont mind me asking whats the Baxandall tonestack? I assume that's the 'flavour' tone stack this amp uses in the circuit? do you know any other amps that use that so as to help me explain to zilla/roadkill if i give them a call?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
thanks for the advice chaps. Toe-knee - if you dont mind me asking whats the Baxandall tonestack? I assume that's the 'flavour' tone stack this amp uses in the circuit? do you know any other amps that use that so as to help me explain to zilla/roadkill if i give them a call?
The tonestack itself isn't really critical info the cab makers will need.

I personally haven't used a Baxandall tonestack for a great length of time but I understand that they are a lot more powerful than a standard fender/marshall type one so you should be able to cut/boost the highs and lows more to compensate for any excess/lacking frequencies that the respective cab may have.

If you want I can get a friend to pop on who is a lot more knowledgable on this than I am.

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
I own a Zilla and am very happy with it. I haven't tried the Roadkill so all I can say is that I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Zilla.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Matt, an interesting read if a little over my head!

And Tony, do you even v30 bro? You'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a roadkill stag arriving any day now Tom re covered my head to match for what i thought was a really good price. The stag was significantly cheaper than the zilla fatboy. I'm having legend 1218's in it because i'm pairing it with a line 6 vetta 2.

I also went with a 3 piece back that tom offers at no extra cost so it can be run open back if i choose. i'll post a review when it arrives

1 - 20 of 30 Posts