Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, looking at them, and in the market, so, anyone compared the two? ANy tips? Going to be trying them out some point in the next week or two, but would like to hear people's opinions first :)

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
Well, as with any amp, it's a matter of taste. I know a couple guys around here have roadsters, but I'm not sure about the roadking. Thine Eyes Bleed has at least one for live use, and it sounded pretty damn good when I saw them. Pretty sure John Petrucci used one for a little bit back in the day, but he went back to the Mark IV after that CD.

As for the Mark V, I've played one a while ago and low volume and it was pretty sweet. Clean tones are straight out of the lonestar, and the 3rd channel a has some nice replications of the old IIC+ and MkIV tones, as well as the "extreme" which can get pretty hairy, but they're all very controllable even with near maxed out gain. The basic focused Mark style tone. Really tight articulate, but I found it a tad noisy. Maybe that was just the environment and sub par guitar I was using at the time. The reverb added a LOT of noise to the mix though, which I didn't particularly appreciate, though I don't really like spring reverb.

Channel 2 is what killed the Mark V for me. I was playing it unboosted, so that could have been part of the problem but there's just SOOOOOOO much low end. It's just THICK. I had the bass off and still found it too bassy for a lead tone. I'm sure with more than 20 mins I could have gotten something out of it, but a 3 channel amp with the variety of tones available, and not being able to use one of the channels (the way I wanted) was what ultimately drove me to not buy it.

I'd love to go try another one again with my OD pedal in hand and really try to tweak the shit out of channel 2 to see if i can't get some good lead tones. This little review might be a tad unfair to channel 2, and I'm sure a lot of people love the shit out of it. Just not my "cuppa" I guess. That said, channel 1 and 3 are fucking PHENOMENAL. especially channel 1. I honestly found it hard to dial in a setting I DIDN'T like.

So take that with a grain of salt as always, and go try it out for yourself. I just didn't get along with channel 2 all that well. Other than that, it great.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Road King all the way. Especially for what you're doing. I think the Mark V is a great two channel amp, since channel two is practically useless. Meanwhile, you can get damn near any sound out of a Road King. The only reason I sold mine is I got tired of getting to a gig and having to figure out what switch flipped, since the thing has more controls than the international space station.

·
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, i've been thinking the rectifiers are more my thing, in any case it looks like i'll be getting both possibly to play around with on the US leg if it all goes to plan which should be cool :)

My bank balance is not going to be happy though :s

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Why not just try to borrow amps from friends when you get stateside? or trade your UV777GR for one.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
You can play my TriAxis+MosValve if you're in the Detroit / Cleveland / Columbus / Cincinnati area :wub:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Channel 2 is what killed the Mark V for me. I was playing it unboosted, so that could have been part of the problem but there's just SOOOOOOO much low end. It's just THICK. I had the bass off and still found it too bassy for a lead tone. I'm sure with more than 20 mins I could have gotten something out of it, but a 3 channel amp with the variety of tones available, and not being able to use one of the channels (the way I wanted) was what ultimately drove me to not buy it.
I had a really hard time with channel 2 when I first bought the Mark V. I use channel 2 in crunch mode and channel 3 is usually in Mark IV. I found that going from clean to ch 2 was alright, and going clean to ch3 was alright, but going between ch2 and ch3 would either make ch2 sound way too bassy or ch3 sound way too thin, depending on which way you were going.

It took me awhile but I eventually figured it out. I generally use channel 2 with the preset EQ so that I'm not boosting it's low end like I would with Mark IV mode. I still run ch2 kind of bassy, but in a band mix the character changes and it simply sound full while ch3 sounds cutting/aggressive.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well, looking at them, and in the market, so, anyone compared the two? ANy tips? Going to be trying them out some point in the next week or two, but would like to hear people's opinions first :)
I have a Mark V and a Roadster... never used a Road King.

The gist is that they're totally different amps that sound and respond nothing like each other.

The Mark V is brighter and tighter, with more midrange and less bottom end. Dialled in right it is extremely pissed off sounding.

The Roadster is darker and looser with a wider, more 3D sound that gives up the 'wall of distortion' sound really easily. It has a very angry breakup once you get the volume up a bit that falls somewhere in between crunch and chunk.

Both amps are extremely responsive to pickups... so choosing to test it with a shitty guitar will give shitty results. I prefer both amps with the Recto 4x12, however try whatever cabs are available if you're into it. If you're getting too much 'fizz' out of either amp, try rolling the tone pot on the guitar down so that you're feeding less treble into the amp. I find this produces better results than rolling the treble or presence pot on the amp, which tends to choke/dull the amp off a little.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Hmm, you're coming to Baltimore on Sunday, March 6th. I may just have to take the next day off of work, unless you object to drinking and bullshitting into the morning hours.

·
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm, you're coming to Baltimore on Sunday, March 6th. I may just have to take the next day off of work, unless you object to drinking and bullshitting into the morning hours.
Ah, I did not see this, but yes, untill the early hours sounds pretty much standard! :D

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Road King all the way. Especially for what you're doing. I think the Mark V is a great two channel amp, since channel two is practically useless. Meanwhile, you can get damn near any sound out of a Road King. The only reason I sold mine is I got tired of getting to a gig and having to figure out what switch flipped, since the thing has more controls than the international space station.
You don't like channel 2? Hmmm......I really dug it. Ah well, different strokes.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
You don't like channel 2? Hmmm......I really dug it. Ah well, different strokes.
It's a cool channel, but it just doesn't make enough gain for what I do. Kinda like the Roadster/Roadking channel 2. They're both cool for passing/flavor stuff, but not something I'd spend a serious amount of time on. I'd rather have a Mark V that is laid out like a Recto, with two high gain channel and one clean channel.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
It's a cool channel, but it just doesn't make enough gain for what I do. Kinda like the Roadster/Roadking channel 2. They're both cool for passing/flavor stuff, but not something I'd spend a serious amount of time on. I'd rather have a Mark V that is laid out like a Recto, with two high gain channel and one clean channel.
Ah, so you don't like channel 2 on the Roadster either.....I do! Yeah, I think we're just in really different styles, which explains why I like those channels on both amps, and you don't. Different strokes, different folks.

I really dig the low to mid gain tones on those amps' channel two with a tape echo tone on it. I could spend hours with that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Channel 2 (Roadster) is my clean channel. 100w, fat mode, tube rectifier on just to add a bit of roundness to it.

Channel 1 I use in 50w, tweed mode with tube rectifier and the gain 3/4 up. Cool mid gain grind, but still has the general "Recto" feel so it's not too odd switching to it. I'll boost it with an overdrive for more crunchy tones. It'll get pretty heavy in an old school sort of way and fills in the gap between clean and high gain.

I've never been able to bond with channel 2's "Brit" mode. It's kind of cool in it's own way, but not nearly as cool as tweed mode, so it gets sacrificed to give me a pure clean channel.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Ah, so you don't like channel 2 on the Roadster either.....I do! Yeah, I think we're just in really different styles, which explains why I like those channels on both amps, and you don't. Different strokes, different folks.

I really dig the low to mid gain tones on those amps' channel two with a tape echo tone on it. I could spend hours with that.
No, dude, I love channel 2 on the Roadster/Road King. It's just that I have absolutely no use for it in either of my bands, and I don't see where James would use it in CoF.

I had a rock project that never got off the ground, and I basically lived on the first two channels. Channel 1 was my clean tone, channel 2 was for rhythm. I stepped on a Tube Screamer if I wanted more grit than was on tap, and a DS-1 if I needed more saturation. I used the solo boost and one of those pedals for leads. I barely even looked at the high gain channels, maybe for a big chord chorus here or there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts