Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's get them all in one place. :lol:

A) Should I power the amp off if I switch from bold to spongy on the power section?

B) As above, do I need to power it down if I go from Diode to Recto Tracking?

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
A) The bold/spongy is part of the power switch, so you don't have a choice but to power it off. Just make sure to first put the amp on standby, wait a few seconds (it takes a bit to discharge the output section), turn it off, wait a few seconds (just in case), and then turn it back on in the new setting.

B) Nope.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Mark IV's and V's have the same feature - they call it Tweed power. I have never had an issue with simply flicking the switch all the way across the "Off" position to the lower or higher voltage setting. You'll find that you won't do this often anyway after you get comfortable with the two settings.

The function of standby is to not "cold shock" the filaments in your tubes by applying high voltage to them before the heat softens them up. If it were a potential problem, Mesa would mention it in the manual (which they don't). FWIW other forums (Grailtone) have discussed this and claim to have talked to Mesa support who confirm it's not necessary to go to standby.

And rectification choice is footswitchable between channels, so again, no need to power down/go to standby.

Flick switches without fear! :hungus:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The reason I tell him to be careful is because of the crackle/pop sound you can get when doing it. Personally, I don't like to subject my speakers to that. ;)

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
The reason I tell him to be careful is because of the crackle/pop sound you can get when doing it. Personally, I don't like to subject my speakers to that. ;)
A Roadster and Mark IV could indeed be different in some ways on the same feature - I get no pop whatsoever when I quickly flick the switch over. It depends on how loud/sharp it is, but this is a good caveat... if it makes a good loud pop when you do it, then at least drop the master beforehand, if not standby for a couple seconds.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
What I'm mainly thinking of is the crackling sound you get when you turn it on standby while the strings are ringing out.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No pop when flickin' between modes, but Spongy seems to be kinda meh on the lead tones, and better on the clean ones.

Must fiddle more..

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Spongy is a low voltage condition, similar to a Variatac. Basically, it allows you to underpower the amp, "browning" it out, like EVH did on those early Van Halen albums.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Bold/Spongy also seems to impact the way the tubes respond differently depending what you're running. Initially, I found I preferred Bold for almost everything with 6L6's, but with EL34s I find I've been running spongy a fair amount more.

Also, I'm now using 100 watts for my lead sounds as well, for similar reasons - the low end is a bit clearer with EL34s, and while you'd think the added saturation would be nice, for moderately high gain lead sounds really I don't even need it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
No pop when flickin' between modes, but Spongy seems to be kinda meh on the lead tones, and better on the clean ones.

Must fiddle more..
Here are settings, try them out. Just be aware that my amp has been retubed with 6550 power tubes and new preamps.

Video on how mine sounds like
Mesa Roadster with new Power Tubes - Video Sample - Sevenstring.org

Power Tubes
-Tung Sol 6550 in EL34 Mode

Preamps
-Tung sol 12ax7
-JJ 12AX7
-Sovtek 12ax7
-Electro Harmonix 12ax7

Rear Controls and Switches
-All channels set to Recto Tracking and 100 watt mode.

EQ and Gain Settings
----------------
Channel 1
----------------
Master:
Presence: 4 o'clock
Bass: 11 o'clock
Middle: 1 o'clock
Treble: 3 o'clock
Gain: 12 o'clock

----------------
Channel 2
----------------
Master:
Presence: 9 o'clock
Bass: 2 o'clock
Middle: 12 o'clock
Treble: 3 o'clock
Gain: 3 o'clock

---------------
Channel 3
----------------
Master:
Presence: 11 o'clock
Bass: 7 o'clock
Middle: 10 1/2 o'clock
Treble: 2 o'clock
Gain: 4 o'clock

---------------
Channel 4
----------------
Master:
Presence: 2 o'clock
Bass: 10 o'clock
Middle: 12 o'clock
Treble: 12 1/2 o'clock
Gain: 3 o'clock

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spongy is a low voltage condition, similar to a Variatac. Basically, it allows you to underpower the amp, "browning" it out, like EVH did on those early Van Halen albums.
Ahh. Yeah, that's not something I really care about. I'm a simple guy. Rhythm tone, lead tone, clean tone, and one channel to fart around with and I'm happy. I think Ch1 is going to end up being a twangy make-me-buy-a-telecaster tone, but it's tough to dial in with my rather unvaried stable of guitars. :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Ahh. Yeah, that's not something I really care about. I'm a simple guy. Rhythm tone, lead tone, clean tone, and one channel to fart around with and I'm happy. I think Ch1 is going to end up being a twangy make-me-buy-a-telecaster tone, but it's tough to dial in with my rather unvaried stable of guitars. :lol:
It also cuts the wattage some, so you can get a bit more grunt out of the power stage if you're going for a relatively smooth tone at a more reasonable volume. Takes the internal voltage from about 110 to 85.

·
Registered
201 Posts
BTW Chris.... If your planning on using or reverb or not, keep it on.

The reason behind this is because apparently the roadsters switching between channels has a delay when its off. But by switching the reverb on, it will fix that.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
By the time I got around to see if anyone answered my question in the other thread, there was too much to catch up on O_O

Okay so, here's my question:

-What's the difference between a Dual Rec Roadster vs Non-Roadster?

·
Registered
201 Posts
By the time I got around to see if anyone answered my question in the other thread, there was too much to catch up on O_O

Features:
-Roadster has 4 channels
-Options for 50/100 watt switch for EACH channel
-Recto Tracking or Diode selection for EACH channel
-Individual reberb for EACH Channel
-Just looks sexy
-Huge ass foot controller for all 4 channels, reverb, tuner mute, fx loop on/off

Sound:
-Roadster has the lone star cleans
-Tighter sound when using the high gain stages
-Less fizzy I believe from what some people say.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts

Roadster = Road King sans Progressive Linkage, so a lot of extra switching options and dedicated channels.

EDIT: ^better post.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The most important question is where can I get black diamond plate inserts for the side of my cab, so it matches? :squint:

Because that would just look all sorts of sick.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts