Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
I fucking hate this rob scallon guy. Every damn metal sites are pushing his dumb videos. I don't even mind the guy, but the youtubeization of metal content is always lame IMO.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I fucking hate this rob scallon guy. Every damn metal sites are pushing his dumb videos. I don't even mind the guy, but the youtubeization of metal content is always lame IMO.
Agree with you there. I love amp demos and badass metal playing (like Ola, Fluff, etc.). I do not enjoy the Pokemon-generation Youtube power editors like this guy.

I know it's just the way of things these days but all of these youtube "celebs" who spend 15 hours a day talking to their webcams just aren't for me. Look at the end of this video - he's laughing and yuk-ing it up as though he's in a group of pals, when in reality he's just standing in a fuckin' room by himself talking to his computer. And he STILL managed to shove in a couple of those annoying jump cut edits.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Ola rules, all those other guys who rode the coattails on his business model can fuck off. Ola has loads of metal cred. I remember e-chatting with him about Bolt Thrower and Demonoid years ago. IIRC he answered a shit ton of my fanboy questions on that record, don't remember if he was an engineer on those sessions or what.

These other guys don't strike me as real metal dudes. They hopped on the metal train around what? 2012?

Love his work on The Haunted's latest (fucking riffs) and the work he did for Unleashed.

·
Banned
835 Posts
Rob has clickbaity and mostly pointless videos, but they're very well executed and every once in a while, he does something I would have never even thought of.

I used to hate him, but I got younger.

·
This space for rent
1,482 Posts
Rob Scallon's friend can play Holy Wars.... :yesway:?

I think the dude is uber-talented, but I can't get into his video vibe for the exact reasons Chris and the Hateful 7 Stringer listed.

Majesty shovel joke ftw though :metal:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Nah, fuck this guy. Don't support posers.

People think that the term "poser" is about elitism or looking cool, but it's not like that at all. (The vast majority of metalheads are losers.) It's the same standard of being genuine/true to yourself you apply to life in general.

Guys like Ola and Bulb were doing what they were doing when absolutely no one cared (the only way to find an Ola video in 2008 was if you were looking for ENGL demo clicks on youtube), whether you like them or not, they are both genuine dudes and they got popular by being themselves.

This dude is paying lip service to Megadeth to build an online lifestyle brand. It's purely self promotion/contrived bullshit. He wouldn't be doing it if people weren't watching.

·
This space for rent
1,482 Posts
It's purely self promotion/contrived bullshit. He wouldn't be doing it if people weren't watching.
I whole-heartedly agree with everything you said and feel pretty much the same way, except maybe the last line.

I mean, he is totally contrived and a straight up click-bait hit-whore, but he's also an entertainer (good or not aside). Would an entertainer still entertain if there was no audience? Ola and Bulb would still rock out and jam for fun, but I bet Rob would too. Ola would probably still do gear demos b/c he's legit looking for that monster tone and loves to play, but would a plumber plumb if there were no clogged toilets?

Just devil's advocating...

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Yeah, after the first *insert some random metal song* on a shovel, banjo, ukulele, wash tub bass, reciprocating saw, etc video... I was over it.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Agreed. His videos are nothing but click bait gimmicks.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Nothing to add here other than I too hate them. I hate them all. It's spawned a generation of gear-obsessed fuckwit guitarists who will condescendingly tell you what colour pickguard screws will give you superior tone, but can't play for shit.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Yeah, after the first *insert some random metal song* on a shovel, banjo, ukulele, wash tub bass, reciprocating saw, etc video... I was over it.
To me it was a bit this as well... I mean it was fun it was creative but it gets old pretty fast.

I respect him, like I do respect Jared, but now I look for a bit more.

Ola was a breath of fresh air when he started, I discovered him in 2008/9 by luck and have been a follower ever since, he had (and has) cool information, the videos had the sound like it was supposed to have and not having the most expensive gear sounding like shit on the most basic Cellphone or Compact camera and he edited is videos as well, sure after a while all is demos sound a bit the same, but its his style and I see them all as soon as they came out because I like to see them even though I know everything will sound great and Brutal no matter what gear it is :) Although lately he kinda put YT on the side but with the new Album and all the clinics and touring its expected.

Cant remember last video I clicked with interest to see from Rob or Jared, guess im no longer their target audience, I think they both are great musicians but dont grab much of my interest anymore.

From some time now I pretty much prefer to watch this guys on Gear reviews because its always a pleasure to see and hear them Play:

Brett Kingman

Pete Thorn

InTheBlues

Pete Cotrell

Apart from Pete the others aren't "metal" at all maybe thats why I find them refreshing.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Nothing to add here other than I too hate them. I hate them all. It's spawned a generation of gear-obsessed fuckwit guitarists who will condescendingly tell you what colour pickguard screws will give you superior tone, but can't play for shit.
You complete me. :wub:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
To me it was a bit this as well... I mean it was fun it was creative but it gets old pretty fast.

I respect him, like I do respect Jared, but now I look for a bit more.

Ola was a breath of fresh air when he started, I discovered him in 2008/9 by luck and have been a follower ever since, he had (and has) cool information, the videos had the sound like it was supposed to have and not having the most expensive gear sounding like shit on the most basic Cellphone or Compact camera and he edited is videos as well, sure after a while all is demos sound a bit the same, but its his style and I see them all as soon as they came out because I like to see them even though I know everything will sound great and Brutal no matter what gear it is :) Although lately he kinda put YT on the side but with the new Album and all the clinics and touring its expected.

Cant remember last video I clicked with interest to see from Rob or Jared, guess im no longer their target audience, I think they both are great musicians but dont grab much of my interest anymore.

From some time now I pretty much prefer to watch this guys on Gear reviews because its always a pleasure to see and hear them Play:

Brett Kingman

Pete Thorn

InTheBlues

Pete Cotrell

Apart from Pete the others aren't "metal" at all maybe thats why I find them refreshing.
I think there's a pretty distinct difference between the Pete Thorns of Youtube, and clowns like this. That being said, if Rob Scallon is actually making money doing this shit, I'd much rather play a Banjo rendition of Fade to Black than go deal with servers all day.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts