Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://metalnation.com/robb-flynn-...k-the-rest-of-machine-head-has-quit-the-band/

The fact that this news is over 24hrs old and nobody's posted it yet just goes to show how fucking dull this band has got in recent years.

Dude seems humble and self-reflecting about it to be fair.

Anyway I'll get the comments rolling;

pfft these guys haven't been good since Burn My Eyes

That gahd dang SJW needs to finally stfu!

boring band anyway

good

I like that one riff that was like bwao bwao bwao djun djun djun bwaoooooowwww

Cont...

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it sucks, I'm a huge MH fan, but listening to the latest album, there are songs on there that I cannot understand for the life of me why they even were released... They were probably Robbs babies and no one told him that they weren't up to par with MH.
Or they did tell him, but he just did it anyway

·
18,790 Posts
It’s a shame. When Machine Head was good, they were really good. They’re a band that would have benefitted from knowing what they are and doing that really fucking well, and telling Rob to go do a side project for the rest of his ideas.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, they've got such a patchy back catalogue. In fact it practically follows the same pattern as Microsoft Windows releases.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
This has been in the works since Dave McLean first realized Robb was doing a video blog and clearly he has just worked up the courage to watch a few episodes and told the rest of the band.....

As above a patchy back catalogue, bme was amazing, I liked the more things change and even the burning red (What can I say I was at my nu metal phase peak). Supercharger was horseshit. Imperium was good and then they went downhill rapidly and started their 'guns, skulls and roses on everything' phase because theyr tough guys but tough guys can be sensitive too can't they....

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
I always liked the band and not Rob for some reason. :shrug: Good luck to them all moving on.

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
So hard to even care. Melodrama. Splitting up? As if Rob wouldn't just replace everyone anyway. Not been interested in anything they've done after the the second album. That 3rd one, the nu metal bollocks one, just killed all credibility for me. After that, it just seemed like a band following trends. Shame, if they'd stuck to their guns from the beginning, it just could have been so much better.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I was about to post it yesterday when I saw it on FB... then I remembered last time we had a MH Thread over here we all came to the agreement that they had 2 Albums and nothing more. Thought no one really cared to be honest.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Their albums tend to be all over the spectrum. The Blackening is the only one of their albums that I think is an absolute masterpiece. Their most recent album, Catharsis, for example, was absolutely horrible, so I don't really care about this at all. :lol:

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
I wish I would once in my life write a song that is even half as awesome as Davidian.

Burn My Eyes and The More Things Change both rule, as does Through The Ashes Of Empires. Not really caring for anything else they released. Besides that, they are a very fun to watch live band.

That said, I would not go on a concert today, and also I acutally almost never listen to them nowadays.
STILL:
Somehow sad to see them go, and Rob does definitely not deserve the shitstorm that constantly breaks lose over him. I prefer bands and people that take a clear stand, and Rob always did that, and especcially in the last months and years - because nowadays it counts, and obviously is needed again.
But to make this the reason for the breakup, as many people do, is ridiculous.

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
I wish I would once in my life write a song that is even half as awesome as Davidian.

Burn My Eyes and The More Things Change both rule, as does Through The Ashes Of Empires. Not really caring for anything else they released. Besides that, they are a very fun to watch live band.

That said, I would not go on a concert today, and also I acutally almost never listen to them nowadays.
STILL:
Somehow sad to see them go, and Rob does definitely not deserve the shitstorm that constantly breaks lose over him. I prefer bands and people that take a clear stand, and Rob always did that, and especcially in the last months and years - because nowadays it counts, and obviously is needed again.
But to make this the reason for the breakup, as many people do, is ridiculous.
Pretty much how I feel, with The Blackening and a select couple of songs from the next two albums added in. I think they've suffered from being really good at one thing but understand they can't just do that all the time, and then find that they alienate their fanbase when they try something else without picking up any new followers.

I agree about Rob too, he's another guy like Kerry King who knows people need to be talking about him and how to achieve it, good or bad doesn't really matter as long as people are talking (especially relevant with the demise of the traditional press). I can also understand the other guys position, having had to be 'that guy' in the band who keeps tight control over everything and generates momentum, it can breed resentment and make situations toxic very quickly.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts