Metalguitarist.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts
How do you keep the superglue out of the string winds?

Seriously, though, sounds great! The clarity falls out with the fingers a bit, but it's way better than I could do, so no criticism here.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Finger-players who have always played with fingers and nothing else sound absolutely great, and I would never suggest that they play with a pick instead, as it isn't objectively better.

However, when I play bass, I play with a pick, because my finger playing is just too weak to sound as good. It's got less to do with what's optimal for the instrument and more about what's optimal for the player to get the message across. If you're better with a pick, play with a pick.

Having said this, guitarists who choose to play with their fingers out of some misguided notion that it sets them apart and that they prefer the tone (Jared James Nichols, Mark Knopfler, and Richie Kotzen, I'm looking at you) need to quietly fill their pockets with rocks, and get in the fucking sea.

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
It's one of those things you just need to practice. Being a guitar player gives you a leg up on fingerstyle with a pick, so fingerstyle seems awkward and weird. Up until the last 10 months (where I've played almost no bass), I had primarily played with finger style for around 13 years. I think it's a skill that is worth developing if you like playing bass more often, and then you can use whatever technique fits the song best. Anyone who says that one way is better than the other is an asshole :rofl:.

·
Super Moderator
13,446 Posts
Finger-players who have always played with fingers and nothing else sound absolutely great, and I would never suggest that they play with a pick instead, as it isn't objectively better.

However, when I play bass, I play with a pick, because my finger playing is just too weak to sound as good. It's got less to do with what's optimal for the instrument and more about what's optimal for the player to get the message across. If you're better with a pick, play with a pick.

Having said this, guitarists who choose to play with their fingers out of some misguided notion that it sets them apart and that they prefer the tone (Jared James Nichols, Mark Knopfler, and Richie Kotzen, I'm looking at you) need to quietly fill their pockets with rocks, and get in the fucking sea.
I've personally always had the stance of using a pick when I'm playing the bass under distorted metal guitar (I have to specify "metal" because if it was "rock," I would do fingerstyle under distorted guitar) and doing fingerstyle under clean guitar. But I've heard and seen plenty of people play awesome-sounding bass with a pick under clean guitar and fingerstyle under distorted guitar. I mean, finger style working with metal distorted guitar should be obvious since a lot of my favorite fretless bass players play fingerstyle, but still. In my case, I don't play with a pick because I can't play with my fingers. I can actually play with my fingers fine, but when I play bass, I've always felt that for metal distorted guitar, at least when I'm playing bass, it sounds better with a pick (and likewise I've felt that it sounds better fingerstyle when the guitars are clean / acoustic). :shrug:

Bass players who think that fingerstyle is the only genuine way to play bass and that playing with a pick is something only guitarists do really piss me off. I mean, obviously there are tons of bass players out there who weren't originally guitarists who play with a pick and are fully capable of playing with their fingers but prefer the attack/sound of a pick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts