Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VooDu Valve LTD Guitar Preamp - Rocktron - Technology for Guitarists

Kinda interesting they re-released it, but it's a re-release of 1995 technology with no real updates other than the red face. I loved my Rocktron Chameleon for over a decade, but it's been over a decade since I played it, so I'm not 100% sure what Rocktron is trying to accomplish here.

It's kinda nice to know the company is still around though. I've seen nothing from them in a long time, especially since I thought all of the guys behind their early success, I believe, are now at ISP.

·
I Am The Tweaker
490 Posts
Kinda like Randall.. They have a few things trickling out here & there but at times it almost seems like they've given up.

I remember a few years ago, Rocktron had announced the Black Widow and a couple other rackmountable pre-amps but have no idea if they ever made it to market. They used to have a bunch of pedals that weren't too bad for the price but they've all but disappeared except for the 2nd hand market.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Good to see; kudos to them for doing it. It's a neat preamp IMHO.
Haven't yet checked its price level, so..

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doesn't the Voodu use the Pirhana drive tones, or am I thinking of something else?
Nah, the Chameleon and Voodu Valve were basically the same. The Chameleon was solid state, the Voodu Valve is basically the same thing with a 12ax7 tube driver. The Piranha is IMO a much better sounding preamp, but still pales in comparison to modern gear. I should know, I bought one a couple years ago out of nostalgia and sold it a few months later when I realized how much other gear had passed it by. Still was killer for the time.

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
i really wanted one of these when they were out, but never got one. Nostalgia means it could be cool, but it'd be more to look at, and then resell, so pointless.

On the other hand, at some point, I'm going to have to find an ada preamp, as have never ever tried one

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Nah, the Chameleon and Voodu Valve were basically the same. The Chameleon was solid state, the Voodu Valve is basically the same thing with a 12ax7 tube driver. The Piranha is IMO a much better sounding preamp, but still pales in comparison to modern gear. I should know, I bought one a couple years ago out of nostalgia and sold it a few months later when I realized how much other gear had passed it by. Still was killer for the time.
I actually really dug how the Piranha sounded. I just couldn't boost it because it would clip the input if you either cranked the gain too high or boost it with an overdrive. Hard to describe, it just didn't sound great when the distortion got above a certain point.

·
I Am The Tweaker
490 Posts
I actually really dug how the Piranha sounded. I just couldn't boost it because it would clip the input if you either cranked the gain too high or boost it with an overdrive. Hard to describe, it just didn't sound great when the distortion got above a certain point.
I think I know what you mean. I have a Bogner Red pedal and if you use it direct into an ir loader, running a boost pedal into it doesn't work very well at all. I will say that it does sound better through speakers but much like your Piranha, the more you turn the gain up, it just starts to sound mushy & overloaded (and not in a good way).

Which is odd because I have a Tech21 GT2, VS Son Of Hyde and a few other distortion pedals that'll take boost pedals like a champ.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I think I know what you mean. I have a Bogner Red pedal and if you use it direct into an ir loader, running a boost pedal into it doesn't work very well at all. I will say that it does sound better through speakers but much like your Piranha, the more you turn the gain up, it just starts to sound mushy & overloaded (and not in a good way).

Which is odd because I have a Tech21 GT2, VS Son Of Hyde and a few other distortion pedals that'll take boost pedals like a champ.
I made a clip of it awhile back when I had it. It's kind of like that Boss HM-2 buzzsaw sound when you let chords run on. I was using a custom-made OD which had more aggression and volume on tap, but even the SD-1 and TS-5 I had did the same thing.

Kicks in at :14

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6Pb4U9tIBBeTm9LMmI1cWdGdjA

1 - 13 of 13 Posts