Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there is a Rocktron Velocity 300 on eBay with a buy it now of $100 (thanks Rick! :wub:) but the power amp does not work or put out anything. I asked the seller for details and they said "when I first obtained it it worked fine, but the volume pots are some what crackly but I never used them, so I didn't care. Then I moved, and after I plugged it back in one side didn't seem to work. A few weeks later, when I checked it out again, it wouldn't do anything on either side. I'm no technician, but I don't see any burns or signs of excessive heat." Now, I've gone to school for some electronics work and I do that stuff as a hobby, and I know my way around a circuit board with a soldering iron...my question to you guys though is do you think this is a good deal or not? Any idea what could be wrong?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I say never buy f*cked amp gear unless you have an electrical engineering degree, know amplifiers, and have components sitting around.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Yay :yesway:. I bought a toasted Marshall VS100 head, warbly sounding Sovtek Mig100H head, and a working Marshall 4x12 (matching the head), for $350. Fixed up the Marshall head for $40 by a guy my bass player knew, sold the stack for $300.

Kept the Sovtek :wub:

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
I say never buy f*cked amp gear unless you have an electrical engineering degree, know amplifiers, and have components sitting around.
This.

I can fix up a guitar pretty well, but amps? Nope.

If it was a really good power amp, like a Mesa or VHT, it'd be worth a discount if you knew about what your local repair shop would charge. However, you can get a perfectly good Velocity for under $300, IIRC, so why buy a busted one at all?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.