Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
EFILNIKUFESIN
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sebastian and Adam finally began to make it ,so stay tuned.

Specs are:
Roter Custom Kate (Kelly 8)
*ONEPIECE Wenge Neck and body. No joints .
*28" scale
*27 frets ,all Stainless Steel ,all scalloped.
*Flamed Maple fretboard. No inlays.
*6 carbon rods to make the neck stronger.
*Custom made Q-Tuner BL-5 Super High Z With Black wired coils and chrome screws.
*ABM bridge (chrome)
*Sperzel Locking Tuners (#1 pegheads) (chrome)
*No Pots ,just a on/off-Killswitch.
*No routings on the backside ,no scratchplate.
*Locking Neutrik Output jack.(Chrome)
*Natural finish ,maybe hard oil or tru oil.But I like the way of natural wenge look and feel.
* Tuned ADGCFADG so Gary Goodman Strings are obligatory.

Here is my crappy design.

I am happy that other Roter customers get their guitars finally ,so they can build mine LOL.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
one piece? that's a zesty call sir!

should be a kickass piece o' kit :D

·
EFILNIKUFESIN
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any reason for 28in scale and high G? Sounds like it's gonna be awesome.
Well ,tightness is very important for me ,so i went with 28" on low A. The high G is doable thru Goodman strings. I e-mailed them and they told me it's doable. I will go with the softest possible high G.that will be a 0,007 I assume.:yesway:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
If you make it 25.5" scale, you can tune the high string to G with standard strings. it'd be way easier.
:agreed: Even if you went slightly extended - say, to a 26.5" - with a nice girthy low A (I use a .68 which holds up just fine if I were to tune it down, and would probably be too tight for most in B standard, where I play it), you'd get adequate low end tension and wouldn't have to freak out about the tension on the high G - a .009 or .008 would probably be fine.

I'd shorten that scale. That's AWFULLY long for a high-tuned guitar, I just have a feeling you're going to get the thiing and it won't be that playable.

Reactions: Leona

·
Head of Agile Gestapo
5,675 Posts
That'll look great. :yesway:

·
EFILNIKUFESIN
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Yess yess ,I was thinking about the scale and you guys are right.

But after talking to Mr. Goodman ,I was ready to get a 0,006 and be happy with it.
My RG is tuned to low A with 0,68 and it's not flubby ,but it still lacks tension . The problem is ,I hate to player thicker than 0,68 so I went with 28"

We will see how it comes out tho!
The body and neck is onepiece ,so it's going to be a totally different tonal experience!

Cheers all!

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Uh, is it just me, or does the body look too small?

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
If that's the butt width of the neck, I'd say the body is too small. I have a suspicion that there's some wood to come off the top endge of it to define the headstock a bit more though. Am I right?

·
EFILNIKUFESIN
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If that's the butt width of the neck, I'd say the body is too small. I have a suspicion that there's some wood to come off the top endge of it to define the headstock a bit more though. Am I right?
Yess you are absolutely right! The neck will be shaved from the both sides.The headstock will have enough curve. It will be a claasic Jackson-like headstock!

·
sawdust aficionado
1,343 Posts
Sounds like an interesting build! I didn't think flamed maple was recommended for fingerboards. It would look awesome though.

I'm curious how they are going to do the wiring without routing the back, or a the top.

·
EFILNIKUFESIN
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm curious how they are going to do the wiring without routing the back, or a the top.
The routing is like this.
I don't use pots on my guitar ,just an LED equipped metal on-off switch.
So a flamed maple pyramid (Actually a triangle with the same bevels as the body) will cover the front routing cavity. The back will be not routed ,so the body will resonate as a whole.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
i have a feeling this is goign to be a horrible failure. i'm not even trying to be a dick. I just figure that if it was a good idea it would have been done by at least a couple other eccentric people out there. know what i mean? I -hope- it works out well for you and you'd better be making videos and nice recorded clips for us.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I think it looks fine!
What do you think?
I think that the standard Kelly body is way too small for an eight. Have you ever played a six-string Kelly? They neck dive like a bitch, even the USA neck through models. You're going to be holding this thing up while you play it.

I'm not trying to be an asshole, but having owned Kellys, I know the playability nightmare that they can be. I had a KE1 silverburst that never got played live, because the neck dive was so severe as to be completely useless standing up.

If you want a Kelly, go for the "King" Kelly body. It is sized more like an Explorer, and balances perfectly:

You don't have to do the cutouts, but the bigger body is really the way to go. All that extra meat behind the bridge helps a lot.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
i have a feeling this is goign to be a horrible failure. i'm not even trying to be a dick. I just figure that if it was a good idea it would have been done by at least a couple other eccentric people out there. know what i mean? I -hope- it works out well for you and you'd better be making videos and nice recorded clips for us.
What part are you talking about? The one piece body? Technosteves kxk singlecut is one piece mahogany Proto. I fail to see anything inherrently bad about it other than cost inefficiency with wood. Other than that whats different than building a neck through?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts