Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
AVH Guitar Repair
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought you guys would get another chuckle at this...I made this last night before I'm packing this up today to ship back to it's owner. Please excuse the poor playing and typical digijent tones, but that's what most of the kids want to hear.
:D

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Fantastic walkthrough. MF Kitten mentioned that you were working on it... what did you end up doing by the time you were done?

EDIT: Oh, just found the thread. Too bad the pics are down. :( Great work polishing the turd, though. Minus the garbage tuners it seems semi playable now.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
The biggest surprise was the Merlin pickup. It's true it sounded boxy compared to the Lundgren but I was expecting it to sound lightyears worse than it did.

The shit tuners and the amount of flex in the neck was not a surprise, however. :lol:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Great job on the vid! I know you were saying the body was too thin but it really shows in the video. It looks like a cut out of a guitar when you turn it sideways!
I also like how you did the side by side comparison with the other guitar, it's great to have a reference to hear what you are talking about.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
The biggest surprise was the Merlin pickup. It's true it sounded boxy compared to the Lundgren but I was expecting it to sound lightyears worse than it did.
I have to wonder: is the boxiness and lack of low end related to the thinness of the body? That Agile was much thicker, and made of hard ash? So, a couple of variables there.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
When you turn it sideways it disappears, a la Kate Moss on that episode of Family Guy.

·
Registered
702 Posts
*sigh*

i want all of you to watch this, and if you haven't, check out the thread Allen made with pics and details, and then remember: i sold my awesome 30" scale 8 string Agile Intrepid Pro with a bare knuckle pickup in the bridge to buy this thing for 1000$. And i saved up like an idiot just to be able to afford it in the first place. i have to sell things to get things. i really am screwed with this one. THREE TIMES i have gotten screwed, and this is it, i'm done. it's either good production line guitars, or all-out expencive custom shop guitars. no in-betweens. just fuck it. I'm a student, and can barely make it through the month with the money i have.

what the hell am i supposed to do with this thing?! i mean, at least now i can play it, but the bridge pickup is less than awesome, and since it's slanted i can't just swap it out, and the neck and tuners are going to be nothing but trouble.

Seriously, what do i do?

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Pickup's probably livable and the tuners can be replaced pretty cheaply but the neck.. ugh. Unfortunately looks like you're just going to have to make due. Sorry things turned out that bad, man. :noplease:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
You can attempt to sell it locally, toss it on eBay or whatever (of course describing its flaws, but attempting to play up its improved playability after being fixed by an excellent luthier).

You can also part it out. Somebody might be willing to pay you for the body with the pickups and everything installed if they feel like building their own neck for it. You might also be able to sell the pickups separately for somebody with a multiscale guitar who isn't super-worried about having the ideal string spacing for their instrument.

Ultimately, I think you're stuck with it, but you might be able to salvage a percentage of the value out in parts, or maybe somebody on SS.org would be willing to pay you like $400 for the guitar. If you wish to salvage the instrument, I'd suggest talking to a luthier who would be willing to build a thicker neck for it. As Randy mentioned you could pick up a set of Sperzels or something to take care of the tuning machine problem.

Or ship it to elq here, and he'll take it to the firing range. :wub:

·
AVH Guitar Repair
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:(

Morten....I feel so bloody bad, I had no idea what you had done to get that beast, and then gotten rooked. After just now talked about it with my wife, and I'm going to waive my repair bill, and give it to you for free - you only pay your postage and the cost of the Graphtech nut blank - that's it. No one deserves that, and especially not to a student. My wife is student at Oslo U, so I understand completely. Don't sweat the fee. Gratis buddy. :)

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Allen, you are officially one of the coolest dudes on the planet. Your wife, too, from the sound of it.

Considering what you saw with the guitar, if Morten were willing to pay you (or someone else) to build a new neck - would it be doable? Would it just be polishing a turd? Or would it transform the guitar into a much better instrument?

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
:(

Morten....I feel so bloody bad, I had no idea what you had done to get that beast, and then gotten rooked. After just now talked about it with my wife, and I'm going to waive my repair bill, and give it to you for free - you only pay your postage and the cost of the Graphtech nut blank - that's it. No one deserves that, and especially not to a student. My wife is student at Oslo U, so I understand completely. Don't sweat the fee. Gratis buddy. :)
:yesway: you just became my regular git fixer! got a couple of guitars I want to send down... sending you a pm in a bit.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts