Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Just downloaded the beta version of TSE's X50 amp sim today (his take on a 5150/6505+/etc) and whilst messing around with it found myself writing the first heavy piece I've been reasonably happy with in absolutely ages. Ironically, I'm not totally happy with the tone, but I just cannot take any more tweaking at the moment, and it could be worse, so figured I'd upload a demo anyway!

All guitars are TSE X50 (boosted with TSE 808) + Recabinet impulses, apart from the cleans at the end which are straight Pod XT Live. Bass is disgusting, I'm afraid - my actual bass is in Bristol, so this is nasty pitch-shifted guitar, but I guess it serves a purpose if nothing else... Aaaand, the one thing I'm reasonably happy with about the mix is a new drum sound from S2.0! Oh, and synths are Philharmonik CE.

Input would be hugely appreciated on both the mix and the composition - I'm pretty happy with the latter, not so much the former, but any thoughts would be more than welcome.

EDIT: Here's the second update, with better mix and a new section...

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
I'm digging the tune! Nice groove and feel. As for the production, the guitar seems a bit on the shrill side, as if the raw preamp signal was blended in. But it seems to work somehow. I'd definitely take a look at dynamic compression, as you the dynamics in your mix (visible on the waveform) are pretty wild. Better compression would make it more friendly to listen to. ;)

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm digging the tune! Nice groove and feel. As for the production, the guitar seems a bit on the shrill side, as if the raw preamp signal was blended in. But it seems to work somehow. I'd definitely take a look at dynamic compression, as you the dynamics in your mix (visible on the waveform) are pretty wild. Better compression would make it more friendly to listen to. ;)
Cheers man - yeah, I've spent about two hours trying to wrestle with the distorted guitars to find the sweet spot between overly shrill and totally lacking in presence, haha. This is the best result yet, but bearing in mind I've never used the X50 before I'm reasonably confident that I'll be able to improve that as and when I can face the prospect of yet more tweaking!

I also totally forgot to mention that this is more or less completely unmastered - I whacked a limiter, LPF and HPF on it before rendering and that was it. I knew that the second I brought multiband into the equation I would spend so many hours tweaking attacks and ratios as to grow to despise the song, so decided to leave such concerns until I've actually finished it, haha. But yeah, sorry if it's a little peak-y as a result. Anyway, thanks very much indeed for the input! Greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to say - funny you should mention it sounding like there might be some preamp signal creeping through... I haven't used keFIR in so long that I totally forgot the "Mix" knob defaults to 50% and spent way too long trying to work out how I'd cocked up the tone quite so badly, haha. Fixed that long before rendering, though, so it's not actually in the uploaded demo!

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
I usually like to run a compressor on my master that will shave off 2dB, nothing extreme, and I find that applying small to medium amounts of compression on individual tracks and submixes really helps the mix sound more "together", for the lack of a better word, with less need to turn up certain elements read loud to make them cut through.

I can definitely relate to spending many hours on tweaking things, I've just spent the last few days trying get a snare drum to sound right. :lol: It's finally getting reasonably close to what I want.

Also, I'd actually experiment with blending in the preamp signal as it seems to work. The song Themata by Karnivool has a similar thing going on, and it has a similar feel to it also. :)

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You, my dear sir, are extremely on the ball. "Themata" is not only one of my favourite songs of all time, but the song I used as reference for the guitar sound here! I'm still miles off that kind of mix, but have totally revamped just about everything (including rebuilding my drum sound entirely) and added a new section to the end.

TSE X50 Test 2 by fredbaty on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I hope this doesn't come across as self-congratulatory, but I'm extremely happy with the last bit - feel like I'm finally writing the kind of drum lines I really want to hear! Of course, give it another 6 months and I'll look back on this with scorn and derision, but I'm damned if I'm not going to make the most of this brief feeling of achievement, haha.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Sounds good man! Themata is also one of my most favoritist songs ever, and you've captured a bit o' that flavour.

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
Very nice! :yesway:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts