Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi gang - just recorded this using the EMG 707TW-X-R neck in single coil mode (very close to an SA7 according to EMG).

Anyways looking to just get opinions on the tone/clarity/eq'ing. I know my phrasing isn't as good as Drews but I don't have as much mojo as that guy.

I've played both clean rhythm and lead on the neck single. Thanks - looking forward to hearing the good/bad/ugly :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Is the intonation on your guitar done right?

Might want to double-check. Also, make sure your bends are in tune.

More saturated on the lead than I'd go for, but it works.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the intonation on your guitar done right?

Might want to double-check. Also, make sure your bends are in tune.

More saturated on the lead than I'd go for, but it works.
I don't have a Peterson tuner so yeah it's the best I can get it with my normal Korg Tuner. The bends are just my lack of skill (or me thinking I have the skill :lol:)

The lead gain is like 40% on a Marshall.. if I go lower it stops sustaining and becomes a very dry crunchy type of tone.

Thanks Josh :yesway:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
It might have just been the bends, but I have perfect pitch and anything out of tune really "pops" to me.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I'm surprised at the tone - more single-coily than I expected (good thing) - but it's not doing the "SA" thing for me, which generally is the "Gilmour" sound in my head. Obviously, totally different rig, but I would think through a Marshall you would get something a little less fat.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm surprised at the tone - more single-coily than I expected (good thing) - but it's not doing the "SA" thing for me, which generally is the "Gilmour" sound in my head. Obviously, totally different rig, but I would think through a Marshall you would get something a little less fat.
It's actually a Marshall in my GSP1101 ;) But there are some times where it can sound fat and sometimes it's got that single coil tone.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I dig it. :yesway:

Work on the bends being in tune, toss a DKFH track behind it and get your bass on, and you'll have a pretty cool song bro. :yesway:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dig it. :yesway:

Work on the bends being in tune, toss a DKFH track behind it and get your bass on, and you'll have a pretty cool song bro. :yesway:
Thanks Chris. I think the bends bit is because I'm using uber slinky 9s in Eb. I'm thinking of going the top half of 11s and the bottom half of 10s for my next set of strings. I tend to really over bend especially with these really slinky strings - which could be the issue with the bends?

I'm also familiarizing myself with drum programs to learn... all this and more in this xmas break.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Tone sounds like there's too much bass in the clean and lead to me. The bends are def. out of tune.

Cool ideas, just need a little cleaning up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts