Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Dunlop Tortex Jazz Round Tip Heavy/Purple, bag of 36, 472RH1

I didn't even realize these existed, until I went to order more 1.0mm jazz sized Tortex picks (since I'm running low on MG.org picks) and accidently grabbed the round tip ones off Juststrings instead of the pointed tip ones.

They're essentially a Jazz pick with a standard tip - very interesting combination, where you have the smaller, more choked up playing position of a Jazz, but the feel on the strings of a larger pick. I actually kind of like how they sound - the attack seems both clearer and with more of those Paul Gilbert like "cello" sounding overtones he goes for, on alternate picking. Additionally, they feel like they slip across the strings a lot better for sweeping, while sharper Jazz picks tend to hang up a little more.

On the other hand, one of the things I like about Jazz picks is that they ARE sharp. So, I ordered a bag of 1.0 Tortex Pitch Black picks with sharp tips, which is what I should have done in the first place, since they're black. :)

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

:dgaf:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I've got a bunch of those that you can have, because that's what my usual proper picks look like when it's time to throw them away. :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:lol: I've got a bag of pointed-tip 1.0mm black tortex jazz picks that should arrive tonight.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
The Jazz2's are like that. I keep one or two in my case if I want a different strumming sound/feel.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Problem solved - 1.0mm jazz pitch blacks. :metal:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just bought a six pack of those. Stoked to check them out. :yesway:
They're basically regular Tortex jazz picks, which are awesome, except they're black, which makes them awesome-r.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
They're basically regular Tortex jazz picks, which are awesome, except they're black, which makes them awesome-r.
I like the .88mm's a LOT, they're stiff when you need them to be, but have a little bit of give. I tried the 1.12's and they were a little stuff, now you make me wanna buy the 1's. I prefer the original black nylons though, they just have that attack ou can't get with any other pick.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the MG picks were 1.0's. Either way, I think this thickness is a pretty good compromise for me - stiff enough so that I feel like I have good control, yet just enough give so that the tip doesn't feel like it totally hangs up if my pick stroke is just the tiniest bit off.

·
Bork!
8,292 Posts
The picks came in today, and they're totally badass. They have the small size and pointy tip that I love about the Dunlop Jazz IIIs, but with the attack of a "regular" pick. These will probably be my go to rhythm picks. :yesway:

Plus, they're black. :metal:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup. I've switched to a few different thicknesses over the years and "cheated" on them on occasion with other picks, but Tortex Pitch Black Jazz picks are what I've been coming back to for five or six years now.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah you should have. :lol: That's like what, two weeks' supply? :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts