Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I went to my "Hulk" Soloist on this one. I figure it's more properly intonated and in tune than my 7.

Anyways just dropped this and spent a good while eq'ing it. It's not really a song but more of a practice sesh on a drums+rhythm track. Have not figured out how to pitch shift my guitar down to act like a bass and thus there's no bass guitar in the mix.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Not hearing much bass.
That's cuz there's no bass :lol: I'm figuring out how to use the GSPs pitch shifter to get a guitar=>bass type patch.

EDIT: Just swapped in a new drum track that I think fits better than before. Introduced some bass drum for a fuller sound. Still no bass.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
That's cuz there's no bass :lol: I'm figuring out how to use the GSPs pitch shifter to get a guitar=>bass type patch.
Buy a reel bass. None of this fake bass shit :nono:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Other than the "bass," it sounds pretty good to me. Even after knowing you put some fake bass in there, it was hard to tell whether it was a "bass" or just the bass drum.

I agree with Josh. You should get a real bass.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Other than the "bass," it sounds pretty good to me. Even after knowing you put some fake bass in there, it was hard to tell whether it was a "bass" or just the bass drum.

I agree with Josh. You should get a real bass.
Thanks man. I don't know about buying a bass - I love guitars too much to spend more money on a bass :rofl:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Hm, is something out of phase? The new version kind of hurts my ears to listen to - it's not the tone or anything, it's just bouncing back and forth and uncomfortable in the mix. :scratch:

That aside, for general riffery, just get a clean patch and play the bass on the B string on the 7. Roll back tone knob, crank up bass, kill mids/highs, voila, faux-bass. :D

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
HERESY!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Each one sounds better than the last dog! Is this still the single-coil mode on the 89x-w-r or whatever?
Thanks I've found a good standard setting on the EQ that I have to run after recording and just basically tweaking it hear and there. This actually this is just my Soloist 6'r with the 81n/85b. The strings on the 7 are just done.

@ Chris - sorry man my ears aren't at that level of sophistication where I can detect the out of phase parts. :shrug:

EDIT: Chris - I just listened to the version and it sounds like my stacked delay could be the problem.. although I don't see how it would affect the entire mix :scratch:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That aside, for general riffery, just get a clean patch and play the bass on the B string on the 7. Roll back tone knob, crank up bass, kill mids/highs, voila, faux-bass. :D
Will administer that for the next clip seeing as I'm getting decent bass from the drums. :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
EDIT: Chris - I just listened to the version and it sounds like my stacked delay could be the problem.. although I don't see how it would affect the entire mix :scratch:
Dunno, it just makes my ears hurt. :scratch: I thought it might be my audio driver, so I queued up something else and, nope, just your track. Weird.

My advice at the onset is to not worry so much about stacking delays and such, and just get yourself a nice, raw, clean take down. Doubletrack and pan, get your rhythms tight, mix it up a bit, and add a touch of flavor to it at the end. :yesway:

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
there is some weird compression going on there. i dunno if it's on everything or if it's on the rhythm guitars but it's need to be less compressed i think.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dunno, it just makes my ears hurt. :scratch: I thought it might be my audio driver, so I queued up something else and, nope, just your track. Weird.

My advice at the onset is to not worry so much about stacking delays and such, and just get yourself a nice, raw, clean take down. Doubletrack and pan, get your rhythms tight, mix it up a bit, and add a touch of flavor to it at the end. :yesway:
there is some weird compression going on there. i dunno if it's on everything or if it's on the rhythm guitars but it's need to be less compressed i think.
Yeah you guys were right. I Googled it and found Soundcloud is having issues with heavy compression and audio degradation.
Horrendous sound quality - sort the compression please!

Bad sound - Is it over compression or over-normalization?

Reuploading it to soundclick.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts