Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my console in Dec 2006, this is now my second red ring of death on it. Off to microsoft it goes on Tuesday I guess. Damn, and I just bought Batman and was really looking forward to playing it.

Hopefully this time they send me a new unit, not just the same flawed one again.

This is why I still keep my old original Xbox kicking around. NFL2k5 it has to be for awhile, no Madden now for at least a month.

·
Registered
300 Posts
At least they extended the warranty, although I'd rather have a console that's not shit. I hope mine lasts at least a few years.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 360s are 4 years old now, why can't they fix this? Insane.

I just really want to play batman :(

·
HAWKS & FUCK SEC!
1,672 Posts
I feel ya. I've had 3 RRODs. Hopefully I won't get anymore. Here's hoping you get it back quick Vince.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I was listening to a podcast the other day (Microsoft centric) and they were saying the 360 failure rate was up around 55%. that's crazy. It's such a fun system though.

·
EMERRRRRRRY!
720 Posts
My old system continued to RROD but my Elite has been fine. I actually followed some of the online tutorials to fix it yourself (spacers using pennies and electrical tape combined with the towel trick, oddly enough, works wonders... :rofl:) and I haven't had a problem with my old system once since then. They should have just added enough spacers to keep the ventilation at a proper level so the video card would stop overheating, but since they didn't and it seems like "return repairs" are crap, I would look into doing that yourself if they don't give you a brand new xbox this time around. :) It helped mine, now I have two working xbox consoles.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The other possibility is to sell your old console and pick up a new Arcade version, which has the Jasper (lower die size) chipset that is not only quieter but much, MUCH more reliable.

·
Registered
300 Posts
All of the new ones have the newest chips, not just the arcade. The Arcade is a complete waste of money, unless you really don't want to pay a little more for the proper system.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
All of the new ones have the newest chips, not just the arcade. The Arcade is a complete waste of money, unless you really don't want to pay a little more for the proper system.
Unless you have the hard drive and such already, like from a previous system.

And there are still old stock Elites and standards that are non-Jasper. The Arcades are 100% Jasper as the SKU came out after they made the switch to the new chipset.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Unless you have the hard drive and such already, like from a previous system.

And there are still old stock Elites and standards that are non-Jasper. The Arcades are 100% Jasper as the SKU came out after they made the switch to the new chipset.
Yeah, actually the Arcade makes the most sense if you've already got an older one with a drive that you're replacing. Just put the drive in and you're set.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe I will buy the arcade due to the new jasper board. Hopefully those don't fail. Looks like I could get about $50 or so for my old xbox refurb once I get it back from microsoft too. maybe I'll go that route.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright I cracked and bought the arcade model :D I made sure it was a jasper too just to hopefully minimize any future problems :fingerscrossed:

I guess I'll sell my old one when I get it back from microsoft next month.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
RROD is the main reason i haven't bought an xbox. Seems like everyone i know that has one has had it happen to them.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The Jasper-boarded Xboxes have fixed the problem... they're down below a 5% warranty repair rate on those.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
My xbox has RRoD'd twice before, but their service has always been good and they've always extended my warranty and xbox live membership for like 3 months everytime so I see no reason to switch :shrug:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm on my 4th 360 elite.. Yet I still find it better than PS3. Got my ps3 in betterdays last year but rarely turn it on.. I should sell it- I could use the cash.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts