Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
I was gonna ask, is this "day of reckoning featuring rusty cooley"

i tell ya, you gotta have some kinda of ego, to try to make the sole selling point of the band your own name. I mean, seriously. Your songs and style aren't interesting enough to make people want to know who's in the band, so you have to outright announce who you are before anyone's even heard the music?

Either he's got a huge ego, or he's very insecure about...something...

...he IS only like 5' 5"...

And just when you thought rutsy's song writing couldn't get any more generic and boring...He does shred like a motherfucker. Thought sometimes I think he just gives up on note selection like a child with ADD. You know how most guitar players are at band practice? Can't stop fucking around when people are trying to talk. That's rusty, except he;s supposed to be playing a nice note selected solo with awesome phrasing, but in the middle of the take, he forgets he's recording and start flailing his fingers at the speed of light and you basically get "his" sound.

I should add that there were a few sections of the songs on myspace that showed promise, but they quickly turned into a rusty cooley "setting a cage of panicked budgies on fire" shred fest. Maybe he should take some songwriting lessons. Hell, Nickelback writes catchier songs, and I'll be fucked if I call Chad "look at my hair" kr00ger a good guitar player.

/rant

TL;DR - All the shred in the world won't save shitty songs. Get over yourself.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Nah man theyre new tunes! Spam?!? Never!...unless its in a can!!! \m/
okay, i stand corrected on the new songs. I clicked on the lower part of the player and it loaded a new page with the older songs on it for some reason..

And yes, you were totally spamming your band. Your first was you posting a link to your band. And your only posts are in this thread. Spamariffic! :lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And yes, you were totally spamming your band. Your first was you posting a link to your band. And your only posts are in this thread
Do I go to spam jail now? Do not pass go, do not collect 200$? :D

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Rusty's a nice guy, and the dude loves to shred. He's a musician, and the whole point of being a musician is to be able to do what you love to do. Rusty's over the top shredding is no different than the 900 djent bands, screaming vocal "core" bands and everything else. If you don't like it, fine, but there's no need for people to turn every mention of Rusty into a discussion flaming his shredding.

If people don't like his playing style, they don't have to listen to his music. But for fuck's sake give it a rest.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
I do like Rusty Cooley for the exact reason Chris mentions. He loves shred, and he will execute it unapologetically. Furthermore, you never hear him criticize people who don't shred, even though everyone who doesn't shred, and some people that do, still harp on him.

Keep on keepin on Rusty ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
i'm not big on most of rustys music but i've bought some of his instructional dvds and the man is a wealth of knowledge. I'll generally give anything he is involved in at least one listen.

·
\m/ Tits & Beer \m/
1,150 Posts
Rusty's a nice guy, and the dude loves to shred. He's a musician, and the whole point of being a musician is to be able to do what you love to do. Rusty's over the top shredding is no different than the 900 djent bands, screaming vocal "core" bands and everything else. If you don't like it, fine, but there's no need for people to turn every mention of Rusty into a discussion flaming his shredding.

If people don't like his playing style, they don't have to listen to his music. But for fuck's sake give it a rest.
This. :yesway:

Rusty's really an awesome dude. It's amazing to me that so many people hate on Rusty BECAUSE he's so good at what he does… and that's shred faster than most well known guitarists. I think it's a combination of jealousy for some haters to be honest. Most guitar players wish that they can be that technically proficient, but because he's not melodic with his phrasing they automatically hate him? Grant it, IMHO I also feel like he can do more with his technical ability instead of shredding the whole time, but that's no reason to diss him. He's successful and more well known because he's sick and that's undeniable.

His solos CD has some good moments on it. Feel that most of that material is stronger than anything he's currently putting out.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I feel exactly like Chris (who basically rehashed what I said the last time this band was posted :fawk:)

I love Rusty Cooley's playing. He plays completely unabashed, over-the-top shred, and he does it better than anyone else I know. He's got his thing, he does it VERY well, and he's not a cock about it. Would I want to do it? No, but I'm not Rusty Cooley, I'm Drew Peterson and I've got my own thing (mostly, not recording) to do. I still consider him an infuence, partly for his approach to the guitar and partly just for showing me just how far technique can be taken.

I totally respect the guy for his playing. :yesway:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I really like the sound of this better than the first track(s) from a few months back. :yesway:

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts

:agreed: on all accounts, my post was a (failed as always:() attempt of a humorous reply to obvious bandspam(an eye for an eye, spam for spam approach).
I have a herd of alots of respect for Rusty and I own a couple of his instructional dvd's, the man is a well of knowledge that should be tapped, and he's nice enough to share his approach to guitar with the rest of us.

I'll generally give anything he is involved in at least one listen.
^This

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I wasn't directing that at you Kim, sorry. :lol:

In any case, band spam always fails on this site, and it's good to see that this thread is no different. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I'd love to be able to play with Rusty's technical ability, even though I probably wouldn't do it much for public consumption.

There's undoubtedly a lot of "shred jealousy" out there about Rusty, but I also think there's legitimate criticism that a guy with that much obvious talent hasn't yet produced music of commensurate quality. I never get a sense of individual identity from his band efforts. It's almost like they're simply a way to get more people hooked into his instructional products--which are undoubtedly about 1000% more profitable than even a really good album of his would be in this day and age.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts