Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
\m/ Tits & Beer \m/
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rusty's selling his Conklin 8 string for $5k. Figuring Dean has his RC8 model completeled he can give the Conklin the boot. According to him it's in excellent shape. Looks badass! I guess you can just shoot him an email at [email protected] for more info.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Selling that Conklin because he got a Dean? Fucker must be crazy. Or broke. :lol:
He might not be allowed to play the Conklin based on his endorsement contract.

It might also have a thicker neck than the fretted ruler on those Deans.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
He might not be allowed to play the Conklin based on his endorsement contract.

It might also have a thicker neck than the fretted ruler on those Deans.
Not being allowed to play it in public is one thing. Im sure he can play it all he wants at home

Dunno about the neck thickness on 8 string deans or 8 string conklins since ive played neither. :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Well, Ken, one is a Dean. Neck thickness should be irrelevant, since friends don't let friends play Deans.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

If I'm not mistaken, his "dean" was ghost built by an independent luthier. Dean in name only

·
\m/ Tits & Beer \m/
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

If I'm not mistaken, his "dean" was ghost built by an independent luthier. Dean in name only
Pretty sure that this was the case with his RC8. No point in a gorgeous instrument just collecting dust around the house, must really love his Dean.

I've heard good and bad things about Conklin guitars over time, esp the extended range stuff. It mainly relates to neck bowing with the models that use the fusing of two woods together. Cant say how true it is cause I've never really had the opportunity to play one.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I've heard good and bad things about Conklin guitars over time, esp the extended range stuff. It mainly relates to neck bowing with the models that use the fusing of two woods together. Cant say how true it is cause I've never really had the opportunity to play one.
Really? Ive never heard that before.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
looking at the construction or maybe not even construction i think just the aesthetics of it, such as the wood at the bottom and top of the fretboard, the non angled pickups and such, that is not a 5k guitar to me. The fretboard itself seems very lazy to keep the wood like it is when it would look so much better with those bits cut off. In my opinion I guess though. I wonder how it plays.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts

Oh, like Ibanez LACS stuff? :) The entire shop is a ghost build, since they're basically Ibanez in shape and name only.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
looking at the construction or maybe not even construction i think just the aesthetics of it, such as the wood at the bottom and top of the fretboard, the non angled pickups and such, that is not a 5k guitar to me. The fretboard itself seems very lazy to keep the wood like it is when it would look so much better with those bits cut off. In my opinion I guess though. I wonder how it plays.
The wood at the bottom of the fretboard is how Conklin does on all their guitars. I think it actually think it looks rather cool. I agree about the top of the fretboard near the nut though. As far as the angled pickup -- thats the kind of thing that you can opt to have done or not. It was probably Rusty's choice.

That said, you can get a new conklin fanned fret built for around the same price as you'd pay for this guitar.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
If Rusty likes the signature Dean, he'd be foolish to keep the Conklin if he can actually get $5k for it. Heck, he sold his old Jackson 7 awhile back, and that was also a custom build.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Heck, he sold his old Jackson 7 awhile back, and that was also a custom build.
...And also probably the coolest of the various guitars he's gone through in my opinion...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts