Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wirelessly posted (Shadow: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I'm in the process of replacing the saddles on my texan with standard hardtail saddles and I've ran into two issues I don't know how to fix. I have 3 on so far. The string through holes are a bit far back so I have to push the saddle back until I get the string through the sadde...no biggie, the saddles spring back to position afterward. The problems are all three saddles are sitting slightly slanted to the bass side of the fretboard and my A string is complete buzz. I haven't fooled with saddle height yet but all of the saddles are fairly high. Is this because of the slanted saddles? Is there any way to fix this other than drilling new string holes (which might be quite hard because of the bridge screw placement). What the fuck do I do? :lol:

Edit....I just noticed the A string touches the 22nd fret when I fret any note.

I raised the saddle a bit and got rid of most of the buzz, I haven't fooled with the other saddle heights or intonation yet, I will do that tomorrow night. I did notice the high E is Really close to the edge of the fretboard now, and I don't think there is any way to fix it other than maybe a new nut, but thats not going to change the bridge saddle position. Maybe I should just buy some barrel saddles. :noway: If so, i've got a brand new chrome hardtail bridge that will be for sale. :lol:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can't imagine there could be anything wrong with the saddles, theyre a pretty standard size etc, Unless its just on the borderline of being too low an action.

Perhaps the neck will respond and raise a little once you get it under tension again.

Other than that, i cant see what else it would be...

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pictures are always helpful - why the change in saddles?
Well I had problems with the barrel saddles that came with it, the height adjustment screws liked to lower themselves down completely to the body. :noway: I also like the feel of hardtail saddles a bit better and wanted to see what would happened if I added a little More mass to the bridge (bigger saddles).

The buzzing was just that saddle being too low, so that problem will be solved once I adjust the saddle height to the radius correctly. The only thing(s) I am worried about is as I said the B E A strings are Slightly slanted toward the bass side of the neck, and the high E is Really close to the edge of the fretboard. I'm scared its not going to intonate correctly with saddles being slanted and I don't think its really possible to fix the high E problem without just using different saddles (again).

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You might have been better off going for an offset style saddle because of the design of the original bridge and saddles.

Products&Ordering - Graph Tech
I think you're right, I just wish I could find some brass ones. Nothing at all against graphtech, I would get them for any other guitar, but I really want to keep and/or add as much metal mass to the bridge as possible.

http://graphtech.com/product-230-2/

This is basically what I need accept its going to push all the strings to the right even more, I need this...but the screw on the Other side. :lol:

Edit* If I could find That saddle with the screw offset to the other side, possibly made out of metal it would be perfect. The back is open so it wouldn't be so much trouble to restring the guitar every time.

Maybe these http://graphtech.com/product-222-2/ but i'm scared they're too big.....time to break out the ruler.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Darren is right yo have the wrong saddles :/ you need to get some right hand offset ones.
Yeah..... anyone know where I can find a metal version of this:

?

Googling bridge saddles, apparently nowhere! :lol: This is far more difficult than it should be!

Just emailed Callaham vintage guitars and parts to see how much they would charge to make me 7 saddles like that. Hopefully it won't be too expensive and I can end my hunt.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
If you notice, you'll see that that saddle comes in a set of 3 left and 3 right. You could call them and ask if you can order seven in the orientation you need.

And are you sure the saddles on the Texan bridge aren't chrome plated brass already?

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Graphtech will do it for $8.99 per saddle, i'm going to see if the other guy will do it cheaper before I go with the graphtech, plus like I said I would rather go with brass anyway. The original saddles I believe are brass, I just want to keep it brass, but get rid of the barrel style saddles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.