Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, Jon here from New York, NY. I'm new to the forum, so I figured that the best thing to do is begin with an introduction...

A little about me: I've been playing guitar for a little less than two years, and taking lessons for about a year and a half. The lessons I've taken have mostly revolved around developing technique, learning the basics of playing guitar, and becoming familiar with the practicalities of reading standard notation, and some very basic theory. Unfortunately, a year and a half out, I've become very dissatisfied with the direction of the curriculum and with my performance--I suppose I'm doing alright, but there's always room for improvement. I'm heading off to college within the month :)erk: gosh I hope they like me...), and as such I only have two more lessons scheduled, and my chops are nowhere near where I would like them to be. So, I thought it would be a good idea for me to join a forum devoted to metal, so that I could benefit from the experiences of others and talk to others who share my interests. Alright, I think I've just about bored to tears anyone who might read this...

Since I was a little one, I've always really dug music, especially hard rock and heavy metal. A few of my favorite bands and artists (regardless of genre) are Rush, Diamond Head, Iron Maiden, Angel Witch, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Cream, Led Zeppelin, Yes, Chuck Berry, Witchfinder General, Ozzy, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Freddie King, Exodus, Testament, Rory Gallagher, Ten Years After, Slayer, Venom, Elmore James, Neil Young, Racer X, Free, Megadeth, The Grateful Dead, Enslaved, The Doors, Van Halen, Cactus, and Ted Nugent. I'm sure I'm omitting or forgetting a few, but I spend a lot of time listening to music, and I have since I was a kid.

I'm also an avid reader, and very much an SF buff. My favorite authors are Robert A. Heinlein, Arthur C. Clarke, Graham Greene, Tim O'Brien, Don DeLillo, Larry Niven, Ray Bradbury, Robert E. Howard, Isaac Asimov, Poul Anderson, William Gibson, and Jeffrey Carver.

I can't expect anyone to have gotten through this whole post--sorry it's such a long, self-indulgent one. I figure that if I get it all out now, the rest of my posts in the future will be a lot more concise. Anyway, I look forward to getting to know the rest of you and enjoying my time here.

Best regards,
Jon.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Welcome!

Where in NY? I'll be moving to Brooklyn in a few weeks for law school myself :metal:

You'll fit right in too, there's a bunch of sci-fi geeks hiding out in here.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome!

Where in NY? I'll be moving to Brooklyn in a few weeks for law school myself :metal:

You'll fit right in too, there's a bunch of sci-fi geeks hiding out in here.
Well, I'm in Manhattan--but as you're moving in, I'll be moving out to Westminster, MD. Good luck as far as law school goes--where will you be attending?

Good to know about the sci-fi geeks. It seems as though metal fandom and sci-fi fandom often go hand in hand.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Well, I'm in Manhattan--but as you're moving in, I'll be moving out to Westminster, MD. Good luck as far as law school goes--where will you be attending?

Good to know about the sci-fi geeks. It seems as though metal fandom and sci-fi fandom often go hand in hand.
Haha, well, that's too bad I guess.

I'm headed to New York Law.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We're all going to hound you about reading Malazan now. :lol:
Hi Chris,

You know, someone recommended Erikson's series to me a while ago, but somehow I never got around to it...:erk:

Anywho, I'm having fun here already--thanks for the warm welcome, all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts