Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm nearing an end to my two year Verizon contract and I'm eligible for a phone upgrade. I'm debating over these two. I'm leaning towards the Droid 2 as I prefer a physical keyboard but both would be a huge improvement over my Samsung Rogue. Any thoughts or suggestions besides switching to AT&T and getting an iPhone? And I'm also aware the iPhone could be coming to Verizon at some point early next year, but I think I would rather wait until they get the bugs worked out on the initial launch.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Both are great phones. The Fascinate technically performs a bit better because of the GPU, but both have very fast and very similar CPU's. The keyboard on the Droid 2 is supposedly much improved over the Droid, so I'd lean towards that one personally. Motorola is also much faster to update Android than Samsung, the Galaxy S hasn't even gotten Android 2.2 in the US yet...

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Droid X, IMO. Then again I don't care for physical keyboards, no matter how good they are. The screen on the X is just awesome too.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
A co-worker of mine has the Droid 2 and she's constantly charging it during her shifts as well as sleeping. She does a fair amount of texting, but not enough to kill the battery THAT quickly.

Not sure if battery life is a huge issue but something you might want to consider

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A co-worker of mine has the Droid 2 and she's constantly charging it during her shifts as well as sleeping. She does a fair amount of texting, but not enough to kill the battery THAT quickly.

Not sure if battery life is a huge issue but something you might want to consider
From what I've read about the Droid 2 the battery life is a an issue but I can deal with that as the my current phone is really bad as well. Thanks for the input.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Droid 2 if you want the keyboard, otherwise Droid X if you're ok with the slightly larger form factor.

Despite its flaws, the Droid was a hell of a fucking smartphone, and the Droid 2 is pretty much better in every way.

·
Rule #2: Double Tap
140 Posts
I have the Samsung Fascinate... I love it. Best phone I've ever used. The AMOLED screen is amazing. Everything just works the way it should. Goodbye POS Blackberry Storm2....

I highly recommend the Samsung.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I got my girlfriend the Samsung Galaxy S, T-Mobile's version of the Fascinate, and it's a really cool phone. She loves it.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts

I picked up a 2nd battery for my Droid for less than 10 bucks from Amazon, same battery as the Droid 2. I only carry it with me when I figure I'm going to run out of juice though.

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I went with the Droid 2. I checked out the Droid X, the Fascinate and the Incredible and I kept going back to the Droid 2. The Droid X and Fascinate are really nice phones with incredible screens but I just didn't like the way they felt in my hand and I still really prefer the use of a physical keyboard so the Droid 2 won in the end. I'm really hoping the iPhone does not launch anytime soon on Verizon because I'm sure the Motorola stuff will be phased out and the price will be slashed.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Good choice, sir.

There's no way they will phase out Android phones when the iPhone is brought to Verizon. They sell ridiculously well, and as we know, there is debate about which platform is superior, etc.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Good choice, sir.

There's no way they will phase out Android phones when the iPhone is brought to Verizon. They sell ridiculously well, and as we know, there is debate about which platform is superior, etc.
There's a debate? I must have missed it! :lol:

One's not superior to the other, they're just different and suit different people, that's all. Android's a fantastic platform, and I dig that Google is coming out with another "Google Experience" phone, the Nexus S.

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Best thing to do would be to head to the store and mess with them both to see which one you like better. It's worth trying out the keyboard on the Droid 2, because I personally dislike the originals board. If you decide you don't like the physical keyboard, then it might be worth checking out the Droid X, with that much screen space, the virtual keyboard is nice. Then again, I personally don't have an issue with the virtual keyboard on my Droid Inc.

I haven't played with the fascinate, but a friend has the Epic 4G, and DAMN is that Super AMOLED screen fucking nice.

As for battery life, root it and use AutoStarts and Autokiller Memory optimizer (which is NOT a task killer). Here's a screen cap I took not too long ago:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Well I went with the Droid 2. I checked out the Droid X, the Fascinate and the Incredible and I kept going back to the Droid 2. The Droid X and Fascinate are really nice phones with incredible screens but I just didn't like the way they felt in my hand and I still really prefer the use of a physical keyboard so the Droid 2 won in the end. I'm really hoping the iPhone does not launch anytime soon on Verizon because I'm sure the Motorola stuff will be phased out and the price will be slashed.
Price slashing happens all the time, but Verizon will not get rid of their Android line-up, they're pretty committed to the platform by now.

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; DROID2 Build/VZW) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1 480X854 motorola DROID2)

My first post from my droid 2. :yesway:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts