Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Samsung Galaxy Tab vs. the iPad: Compare For Yourself - PCWorld

Nice specs, and it's cool that it has an sd slot. Based on the Galaxy S phone, it should be a solid device. The only disappointing things I can think of are the size, and if they really do tie it into a Verizon contract. Not everyone wants a 3G tablet; it's not quite like a smart phone.

I think the larger sizes they'll come out with later will be more of a viable iPad competitor.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I think 7" is just right for a tablet, personally. I'm hoping there is a WiFi only Galaxy Tab, if there is, I'm totally in.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Elysian said:
I think 7" is just right for a tablet, personally. I'm hoping there is a WiFi only Galaxy Tab, if there is, I'm totally in.
I should have said why I don't think 7" is ideal; while the smaller size is more portable, I actually find myself locking my iPad in portrait mode, and yet still being able to type really well two handed. I'd be afraid with the smaller size that it wouldn't work out as well.
Of course horizontal typing would be fine.
They really need to offer it detached from a provider though in order for it to be successful, I think.

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
It's not a phone that you're carrying around everywhere, so bigger is better IMO. I would probably just have it home anyway.

If I planned to have it with me 7" would probably be better though.

I love the teaser video of it!

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I really think that's a bit too small. I think apple got the size of the iPad right (unlike everything else lately :facepalm:), its really pretty damn nice as far as it fits in hand.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They've said they're coming out with a 10" model later anyway, so it's relatively a moot point. However the availability is a toss-up, as most news sites have made it sound like they're exclusively tying it to a service provider, which is super ghey.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Not for the WiFi model. Also, why would anyone need voice capabilities on a tablet? I'd hate to carry a tablet around to make calls :lol:
Yeah... the WiFi-only won't require a contract, but it's too bad they're not going with the iPad model. Up here, i can get a prepaid data SIM from any carrier and pop it in.

It would be somewhat useful as a phone with a headset... i don't see people holding a 7" tablet up to their heads. ;) But if you're carrying it with you for data, media and GPS, and it's capable of being a phone, why not?

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I see "wifi at some point" but the details are scarce, especially considering most of the preliminary press releases are pushing the concept of having one for each major carrier.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I see "wifi at some point" but the details are scarce, especially considering most of the preliminary press releases are pushing the concept of having one for each major carrier.
Yeah, it's kind of odd, would think WiFi would come first...

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I'm in the "would buy a wifi tablet to tether to my smartphone" category, as I'm thinking the bulk of us opting for it in here are?

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I'm in the "would buy a wifi tablet to tether to my smartphone" category, as I'm thinking the bulk of us opting for it in here are?
Definitely. I'm already forced into paying for one data plan, it's not like I can turn it off on my phone!

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Yeah, it's kind of odd, would think WiFi would come first...
The 3G version is coming first because Samsung has a better chance against the iPad if they can get carriers to sell them at a subsidized price.

They're going all out. Along with the American carriers, the main Canadian carriers are all going to carry it as well.

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
My friend had one of these (he recently opened a sofa bed out onto it and broke the screen - he hadn't insured it), there's nothing like standing in the middle of Picadilly Circus while he uses the compass app, trying to find which way is North by revolving on the spot with a look of pure concentration on his face.

Turns out, everywhere in London is South. :yesway: :lol:

I still thought it was the dog's bollocks though :agreed:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not for the WiFi model. Also, why would anyone need voice capabilities on a tablet? I'd hate to carry a tablet around to make calls :lol:
I think tying it into carriers at first is a mistake, in this economy. Not everyone wants yet another damn monthly fee to deal with, and I really don't think it's the necessity that it is on a smartphone.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Well yeah, smart people wouldn't. But you'd be surprised at how many people don't factor in the long term costs associated with getting their new toys at a cheaper than retail cost.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts