Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight Fates Warning kicked off a small West Coast U.S. tour here in Seattle. Tonight marked the third time I've seen Fates Warning but the other two times were way back in the day- 1992 in Tijuana, Mexico on the Parallels Tour and back in 1994 in Hollywood when they opened for Dream Theater on the Awake Tour (think about THAT for a second). Anyways, 24 years is a long time between shows so I decided to head down. The local venue, Studio Seven, is one I wasn't familiar with but it's a small place with a max attendance around 800-900 people. It was a Friday night and the place was pretty full but not packed so I felt a little sorry for the guys. Ray mentioned that they hadn't played together as a band in 5 months so maybe they wanted a low key show to get their road legs underneath them.

Anyways, if you look at recent set lists from Fates Warning, you'll notice that the set doesn't really change much (if at all) from night to night and tonight adhered to this pattern. The set is/was a nice mix of tunes from the current release and then various favorites from Parallels, Perfect Symmetry, Pleasant Shade of Gray, etc and Acquiescence from the Ivory Gate of Dreams (only No Exit track). Every one sounds GREAT. I'm in awe of Jim Matheos so I was camped out on his side of the stage. Interesting in that he mostly defers the solos in the live setting to the second guitarist who wasn't introduced to the crowd so I'm not sure who it was, to be honest.

Both Jim & the other guitarist were playing through Mesa Dual Recs. Jim was pretty bare bones with a 2 space rack where one rack was unknown (preamp?) and the second space was some sort of effects unit). The second guitarist had a 8 pedal floorboard including what I think was an Eventide H9. I know Ray doesn't get much love around these parts but I love his singing and he can still bring it, even after all these years. In all, they tore through about 16 songs over 90 minutes. They're flying down to Mexico City tomorrow for a Sunday gig down there so I think they might have kept things a little short because of that.

My f'ing iPhone no longer records sound with video at concerts but I did bring a small video camera as a backup which worked but it's puny mic didn't do so good. Someone in front of me pretty much Facebook Live'd the entire show but I only recorded a few songs. Here's my clips from tonight:

Jim's mystery rack:

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Sheepishly, I now see that he lays all that out on his website. :lol:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I saw them back in 05 I think it was, opening for Dream Theater and Queensryche. They were excellent live.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts