Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a present of sorts for our anniversary, my wife bought us tickets to see Joe Bonamassa in Austin, TX. Last night was the show, and Joe did not disappoint.

It wasn't a 'greatest hits' collection or a blues review of some sort - much of the material was either unfamiliar to me or his rendition of a song I did recognize but, in the end, Bonamassa made his own.

He started the evening with a 3-tone Fender Strat that only lasted one song - after that, he switched between Les Pauls, a 339, and a 52 Telecaster. Most of the evening, he stuck to a Les Paul (an older, faded model... I think it has a name, Skinner or something, but I can't remember.)

I don't know that his playing could have been more perfect. It wasn't note for note with anything I'd seen or heard from him before, but between roaring rhythms and screaming solos, I could hear he wasn't missing a thing - even when he stretched out and played off-the-cuff.

The whole night, I sat there wondering if I should go home, burn my guitars, and take up scrapbooking or something.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable show. My wife and I agreed that we would pay to see him again if we have the opportunity.

I'll say this... as well as he was playing everything else, his killer encore of "Sloe Gin" felt as though he was phoning that song in. More of a fan now, than ever.

·
Registered
166 Posts
He's great, I've been a big fan of his for a while. Have a lot of his concert videos - they are all great and despite his having released tons they're very different from each other, different material, band members, all acoustic, etc. I'm due to go see him again, last time I saw him was at Radio City in NYC a few years ago and it did not disappoint. The guy tours relentlessly, his original material just keeps getting better with each album, he's a monster player because he probably plays for hours every day, you can tell the guy is totally in love with the instrument and the blues.

I like that he's also a gear nerd and also that his playing is never overdone and just fits each song really well. I get an Eric Johnson vibe from some of his leads which I like also.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts