Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And the fucking OWNED!!

Todd was on fucking fire, dude didn't hit a sour note or shy away from a single fuckin' thing.

Man, I'm so jaded by shows now, it doesn't matter who it is, I'm sitting there analyzing shit, thinking about what the signal chain for the vocals looks like, etc. but tonight I went into 15-year old Drew mode and just rocked out, fist in the air, singing along with every song.

Only 3 new tunes, 2 from the new album and 1 from the last, but the rest of the set was perfect. Got "Anybody Listening?", "Screaming In Digital", "Damaged", "Best I Can"....no "Silent Lucidity"! (Fuck yeah, I'm sick of that shit)....a bunch of old tunes, "The Killing Words"...."The Mission"...."Queen Of The Ryche", etc.

Todd REALLY nailed it tonight. I've seen a video from almost every show they've done since he's joined and tonight was one of the best ones yet. Seriously, not a single sour note, no premature fading of notes.

Dokken opened after Eddie Trunk did a 15 minute stand-up kind of thing which was actually pretty funny. He's definitely gotten some pointers from Don and Jim. Dokken sucked fucking ass. Like, REALLY bad. I was embarrassed watching their set and I'm not even a fan of them. It was just Don Dokken, (maybe the original drummer?) and some dude's I have no idea about. Don was terrible, just....ugh......I don't know how that dude goes out night after night doing that. The band was good, guitarist could shred and all that....but my farts, even the sloppiest of them, have so much more energy than what was put out on that stage.

My girl and I went and met Eddie during Dokken's set. I was more than happy to not be anywhere near the P.A. for them.

Some Ryche fans have been doubting Todd and the band as of late because of their refusal to add newer songs and Todd's hit-or-miss shows, but tonight was a show that earned my continued support. They were ON tonight....sounded better than when I saw them in '97 and '03.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Some Ryche fans have been doubting Todd and the band as of late because of their refusal to add newer songs and Todd's hit-or-miss shows, but tonight was a show that earned my continued support. They were ON tonight....sounded better than when I saw them in '97 and '03.
You aren't kidding. People went from saying Todd was the next coming of Ryche Jesus, to saying he was a mistake and should have never hired him.

Still, cool to see you had a good time, even with the recent wave of negativity surrounding the band in some circles.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Man, I remember seeing Queesnryche before they had finally settled the agreement with Tate and that band just slayed!
Todd blew everyone out of the water! Incredible stage presence and voice! Disappointed that I didn't get to see them in NC again...

Didn't even know they were stopping by one night.

EDIT: When did people start doubting Todd? I haven't seen that? Did I miss something?

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EDIT: When did people start doubting Todd? I haven't seen that? Did I miss something?
There's a Ryche forum that JazzHands and I post on, The Breakdown Room, I won't go into the history of it and it's members, but the last couple months have been nothing but negative posts regarding Todd. He's been on/off for some shows in the last 6 months and they hadn't changed their set up at all for the last couple years. Once they started this headline run, they changed it up a bit, but not entirely different. They're only playing 3 new songs, 1 from the S/T record ("In This Light") and 2 from the new one, "Guardian" and "Bulletproof". Some people don't want to see them in the nostalgia act zone and they're doing a good job at heading there with a set comprised mainly of tunes written in the 80's.

I do agree that they aren't supporting their new material enough. They've already shown the fan base that Todd can sing the old stuff, their new stuff stands strong enough on it's own and they really need to push that shit harder.

I didn't mind the set tonight because it was my first time seeing them with Todd. Actually, the last time I saw Ryche was at the same venue in 2003, with Dream Theater.....I saw the soundcheck for that show and it was just as thrilling as the actual set, just a few dudes standing around while Geoff did whatever he could to not exert energy. Tonight was the total opposite.

Parker definitely adds a whole new energy to the show, that kid was fuckin' headbanging and just rocking the shit out of those tunes. You can tell he's loving what he's doing.

One thing that caught me off guard was during the second song, Todd walked over to one side and said "Fuck off" to someone in the audience.....not sure why, but that was all that happened and he didn't miss a beat while doing it.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Yeah, I didn't want to name any names, but it's been getting bad there. :lol: It's getting to the point where some people are thinking "Maybe firing Tate was a bad idea..."

I do agree they should play more new songs, though. Condition Human has some great songs like Eye9, Toxic Remedy, The Aftermath... etc, and not to mention some really solid songs from the previous album. At the same time, though, It's good to hear that Todd is still there kicking ass, though.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
I didn't know the Breakdown Room had reactivated. I went over there to check it out (I posted quite a bit there during the lawsuit era), and it's like a weird Bizarro World version where everybody criticizes LeTorre instead of Tate. My only conclusion is that certain diehard QR fans live for the drama.

I didn't get to see QR because of the huge snowstorm that hit Washington DC when they were scheduled to play here. I'm disappointed to hear they're not playing more new songs. I think the fanbase at club shows would support it, even if the bigger audiences at fly-in dates and festivals wouldn't.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Yeah, they reactivated last year a bit before the new album released. I think a lot of people there didn't like the fact Todd didn't consider the forum a "credible music outlet."
For awhile, it was a ton of Todd criticism after the forum went down under, then the forum came back and the album released and everyone went back to saying Todd was the greatest thing ever, and now it's back to saying Todd was a mistake, but it seems to be even harsh now. Like I said, some people are even thinking Geoff is better off.

They do need to play more new songs though.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thing with the Breakdown Room is that there's a few people on there that believe they had a hand in getting Geoff booted from the band, one in particular may have sped up the process, if anything, by making the band aware of the Mindcrime rights being sold behind their backs. I think this mentality is causing them to throw their internet weight around to see if it'll cause any changes within the band.

They definitely need to have more faith in their new material. Maybe because they've gotten such a backlash over the last few Tate albums that they're just nervous about putting too much of it out there. The audience definitely dug the new stuff last night.

I saw some dude outside the bathrooms with a David Lee Roth Eat 'Em And Smile shirt so I started shooting the shit with him about the reunion. Checked my Twitter last night when I got home and turns out it was Paulo, the bassist for Trivium. Didn't even realize it was him when I was talking to him.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
If their sets are 80 minutes or so, then I can understand them not doing lots of new material, but I'd think they should do at least four or five songs. Even people who are more interested in the older material would probably be okay with that if they have faith that this tour isn't just a one-time deal and that QR is going to be coming around fairly often.

I still haven't gotten to see the new lineup yet. They've only played at the M3 Festival in this area, and I'm not interested in sitting through a bunch of glam bands to get to QR.

In reading through the complaints at the Breakdown Room, I think there are some valid points, but it feels like the main players over there are all WAY too involved with the band for their own good. I've always felt that way about that site. It's just a band out there trying to make a living, after all. We're all a little too old to be fanboying it like that.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
They've seen nothing but praise for Condition Human and the self-titled album. I will admit that should have been enough for them to throw in 5 - 6 or so new songs from the 2 albums on top of what they got now, replacing some songs they've been playing constantly for the passed 4 years if they have to keep it 80 - 90 minutes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.