Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

At one point I felt a tear roll down my cheek....and that's when I realized that I hadn't stop laughing for the first 15 minutes they were onstage. The vocals are 90% on tape, at least tonight they were....but the comedy shit they throw in the set, it's just non-stop. Satchel can fucking rip, dude didn't hit a sour note all night. Got a bunch of chicks onstage for "17 Girls In A Row" and most of them got their tits out. :metal:

What really blew me away, and the band as well, was how much the audience knew the songs. The audience was getting just as loud as the band's vox at times and when they started "Community Property" they stood onstage for a second dumbfounded while the audience sang the chorus, really fucking loudly. That was probably the closest they got to breaking character, because they were quite stunned....as was I.

Definitely go see these guys if you get the chance....the entire set is a fucking riot. I also quite dug Satchel's tone. I didn't see any amps onstage and I know they just did a cruise, so he probably just had some kind of small rack rig, but I was pretty impressed, it wasn't just a loud, distorted guitar.

·
Ear Punisher
858 Posts
I'd love to see them live. Satchel cracks me up, but dayam he can play his ass off. I'm sure it was a hoot.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
ugh they played here late last year on a weeknight :/ and I get up at 5am'ish. Guess i'll bite the bullet next time

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
Think I read not long ago that Satchel switched over to Atomic Amplifires... I still want to go see them. One of these days!

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
They are amazing!! Seen them a few times now. It's a comedy show with live music really. I'll always hit them when they come to town. They usually come around Xmas time, which makes for good outfits on the girls that get on stage, if you get my meaning ;)

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And while I'm sure they've got a ton of things they say regularly or have been using onstage for years, I think a lot of their banter, live or on in their YouTube vids or interviews, etc, is improvised, which I LOVE.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
You haven't been to a live show until Satchel's mimicked jacking off on you or your girlfriend.

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
I saw them a couple of times at House of Blues in LA and they were playing covers which surprised me as in Europe they are only known for their own material, they play places the size of Wembley arena over here.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Looks like you were pretty close to the stage too, very cool :)

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I love me some Steel Panther but they were damn disappointing the one time I saw them, which was a midnight show at the HOB in Vegas. You'd think that would be awesome, right? They played maybe 6 songs total, did their schtick for 20 minutes between each song, didn't play DTABM and other than Community Property everything else they played was a cover. :\

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
Every time they roll through town I have to work fuck me, I will catch them sooner or later.

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
I love me some Steel Panther but they were damn disappointing the one time I saw them, which was a midnight show at the HOB in Vegas. You'd think that would be awesome, right? They played maybe 6 songs total, did their schtick for 20 minutes between each song, didn't play DTABM and other than Community Property everything else they played was a cover. :\
How long ago was that? Just curious.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You haven't been to a live show until Satchel's mimicked jacking off on you or your girlfriend.
Hahahahahhaha I think everyone but Lexi 'jacked off' on us. I'm not sure if ripping on Lexi carries it's way into the mix, but I couldn't hear him for shit. There were like 3 notes that I heard come from his bass. I could tell the guy was actually playing, but he's waaaaaaay down in the mix live.

They started playing a SHITLOAD of cover tunes, but they wouldn't play any more than a couple bars and kept saying that they'd get sued. When Satchel put on an acoustic, there was a good 10 minutes of them starting up songs in G. Those guys are fuckin' musical encyclopedias. Anything from the 50's to current stuff, they'd play a few bars and then stop.

Michael Starr also did some pretty sick screaming at the show....and I don't mean those high Roth/Halford kind, I mean like Anselmo/Blythe stuff. It'd only be a phrase here and there and he was doing it as a joke, but it was cool nonetheless. They also made PLENTY of jokes about lip syncing. I'm sure more than half the audience couldn't tell, but the second they got out on stage and Starr was singing with the mic anywhere from 2" to 3' away from his face without any noticeable volume difference, I knew something was up. He's got it down better than a lot of pop stars though. I'm assuming his mic is live the entire time regardless of the vocal track playing.

I know it's their shtick to look like they're having a blast onstage, but they truly seem like they are. Making each other laugh and busting each others balls, it seems like they're pretty tight friends and really enjoying what they do. I mean, it's GOTTA be fuckin' fun to go play those songs.

They played for a good hour and a half, a lot of banter between songs but I more than got my money's worth. Not a single entire cover tune, all their shit....and they closed to "DTABM".

·
Taco Six-Niner
77 Posts
Seen em 3 times, they killed it every time. No covers, crowd knew EVERY song.

Well, I guess La Bamba was a cover, but they changed all the words to be about fucking a Mexican chick in the crowd.

A++ would see every time

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
I saw them a couple of times at House of Blues in LA and they were playing covers which surprised me as in Europe they are only known for their own material, they play places the size of Wembley arena over here.
I know Steel Panther are a cover band resident in House Of Blues Hollywood, I think every Tuesday or something. I also notice that they don't do any covers during their international tours. Rightfully so I guess.

I saw them at Soundwave last year and felt the same way. At least they didn't do covers on that show, but yeah, again only 6 songs in an hour set, and the rest filled with the banter. This got really apparent when I bought the British Invasion DVD when after their first song, Eyes Of A Panther, they went on and on for half an hour before the second song. I get that it's their shtick and seeing chicks flashing is always nice, but come on. The banter shouldn't be eclipsing the music, especially considering how good they are. Michael Starr and Satchel are indeed great musicians.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts