Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to be skinny.

Say hello to mechanically separated chicken. It's what all fast-food chicken is made from-things like chicken nuggets and patties. Also, the processed frozen chicken in the stores is made from it.

Basically, the entire chicken is smashed and pressed through a sieve-bones, eyes, guts, and all. it comes out looking like this.

There's more: because it's crawling with bacteria, it will be washed with ammonia, soaked in it, actually. Then, because it tastes gross, it will be reflavored artificially. Then, because it is weirdly pink, it will be dyed with artificial color.

But, hey, at least it tastes good, right?

High five, America!
o_O

How much more can the foods I eat be ruined....

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If they're just smashing the whole thing, it's hardly "separated", is it? :barf:
Luckily what I posted isn't all true.

Mechanically separated chicken for food-Truth!

Summary of the eRumor

An email message alerting readers to the existence of mechanically separated meats such as chicken and turkey.
The writer says it is a carcass stripped of everything except tissue, immature sex glands, and bone and asks, "Shouldn't consumers be made aware of what mechanically separated chicken is?"

The Truth

According to the U.S.Food Safety and Inspection Service of the Department of Agriculture, mechanically separated meets are the real thing and are safe.
Very simply, mechanical separation is a way of getting every last piece of meat from the bone of a chicken, turkey, or other food animal.
Bones with edible meat attached are forced under high pressure through a device that separates the bone from the meat.
It's a process that's been used since the 1960's and for a variety of popular products.
A statement from the U.S. Food Safety and Inspection Service says mechanically separated products are "safe, wholesome, nutritious, and useful in providing consumers with the wide variety of economical meat and poultry products."
We have not been able to find any reference to the carcass specifically having "immature sex glands."
Doesn't make it 100% better though D:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I think what the photo depicts is what they do with everything left over AFTER the meat has been removed. Also known as "chicken meal"... this would get dried up and put into pet foods and other processed meat products.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
It looks like soft serve strawberry ice cream! :lol:

Also, I think Darren is right.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think what the photo depicts is what they do with everything left over AFTER the meat has been removed. Also known as "chicken meal"... this would get dried up and put into pet foods and other processed meat products.
Who's eaten dog food from a paid dare?

*embarrassingly raises hand*

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Probably not "bad" for you on its own per se, but as Jamie said, it's not "meat". And chances are, all the additives and stabilizers and shit they add to it before it's cooked probably aren't so great, either.

·
MAMMALHAMMER
520 Posts
omfg... I was wondering why it was called "experiment fail"

That is just saddening.
I don't see how it is saddening. Chicken nuggets are what they are. I think those kids already knew that chickens don't have nuggets.

Not making use of all of the chicken would be kind of wasteful. All of that organic material has nutritional value. It cost fuel to get the chicken raised and hatched and to transport every last bit.

The only problem I have with chicken nuggets/products are the sketchy additives.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Wow. I do not remember being that monumentally stupid when I was a kid. I hated chicken nuggets, since they didn't taste like chicken. The fries sucked, too. I pretty much hated the entire McDonald's menu, which was a great relief to my parents, since they never wanted to go there.

However, I would choke it all down to get that toy. The Happy Meal is the greatest marketing move in the history of food. Apparently, now they don't even need the toy to get the kids to eat it. That guy is right, we have completely brainwashed our children. :/

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Not making use of all of the chicken would be kind of wasteful. All of that organic material has nutritional value. It cost fuel to get the chicken raised and hatched and to transport every last bit.
At one point, that was the part of the chicken that became pet food. What a sad path we have gone down.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.