Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Parental Advisory
288 Posts
I've got Dunlops on all my guitars bar one, which has the old Schallers. What's the difference between these and the old ones? I'm not really seeing any.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
I've got Dunlops on all my guitars bar one, which has the old Schallers. What's the difference between these and the old ones? I'm not really seeing any.
"Extra smooth operation"? ;)

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I dont get the appeal of Schaller straplocks? Every guitar I've ever got my hands on with these things feel rattly and un-solid!

I prefer these, it makes a rock strap connection that doesn't rattle!
Except I've seen those pull out the strap buttons on a number of guitars after a while.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I dont get the appeal of Schaller straplocks? Every guitar I've ever got my hands on with these things feel rattly and un-solid!
I know people who swear by them, but this has been my experience as well. I've had three sets installed with the factory screws, two of which ripped out and one of them that became very 'rattly' and I swapped them out before it could get worse. I'm also not a big fan of the strap have the metal 'locks' on them, because I'll frequently detach my strap and put it in my case, and when I was running the Schaller locks, I noticed a few times the strap rattled around in the case and scratched the guitar.

I was running Cliplocks for a while too. Definitely the most reliable straplock IMO. I was doing Cinderella style guitar spinning in that band, so I used those and they were held into my guitar with 2 1/2" drywall screws. My only complaint with the Cliplocks were that they didn't get short enough to suit me (yes, I did/do chest rock) and the amount of strap left dangling around when you took the strap off was kinda inconvenient and ugly.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I absolutely despise Cliplocks, since it forces you to use nylon Dimarzio straps. I don't like how nylon straps slide around compared to leather, and the plastic clips look cheap on a guitar. I also don't understand how someone can complain about the metal locks on the strap moving around in the case scratching a guitar, but the plastic clips rubbing the finish off a guitar is OK?

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
I don't know about anyone else, but ever since Clemenzi showed me the Planet Waves straplock when it first came out, I've never bother with anything else

Hell, mine was signed by Satriani and I've had it so long it faded off back to normal :lol:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Looks like a few new improvements - which seems to address most of the criticisms I've seen (some I've had personally) of their system.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
@noodles You're not wrong. I didn't like that either, but the Schallers basically gave me beltrash on the front of the guitar. I actually would've considered leaving the strap attached in transit but the little release nipple thing would sometimes not fit in the case right and I actually think that was part of the reason a couple of mine came loose.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Mostly I just put the strap on what comes with the guitar and leave it there lol. One strap per guitar; it goes on, and stays on for the most part. I have white cliplocks on my white Jem, but it came with them. I've been playing since '75, never had a guitar come off a strap.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
I don't know about anyone else, but ever since Clemenzi showed me the Planet Waves straplock when it first came out, I've never bother with anything else

Hell, mine was signed by Satriani and I've had it so long it faded off back to normal :lol:
Aren't these rattly too?

I've seen a video where it rattles a bit

But I've defintely wanted to check them out!

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
I absolutely despise Cliplocks, since it forces you to use nylon Dimarzio straps. I don't like how nylon straps slide around compared to leather, and the plastic clips look cheap on a guitar. I also don't understand how someone can complain about the metal locks on the strap moving around in the case scratching a guitar, but the plastic clips rubbing the finish off a guitar is OK?
There's Dimarzio cotton cliplocks. They are awesome and makes guitar sit well in place.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Except I've seen those pull out the strap buttons on a number of guitars after a while.
If that thing is gonna pull those out, either somebody is torquing them WAAAY too hard (and I dunno how the plastic isn't dying at that point), or the screws are too short to begin with. Strap buttons should have long assed screws (longer than anyone really uses, sadly) whenever possible.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Just looked at the new version of the Schallers, wtf complicated ass shit is this?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Just looked at the new version of the Schallers, wtf complicated ass shit is this?
Doesn't seem complicated to me - longer threaded barrel and more "space" for thicker straps, a simpler thumb wheel with set screw for attaching the strap piece instead of the washer and nut, seems like nothing but improvements to me without making things any more difficult?

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
So, are the buttons changed at all? Could I use the new strap part on older schaller buttons? Because I tend to have one or 2 straps I use on everything... :lol:

I don't gig though, and I've never had the older ones fail on me(because I use a ratchet to install the strap part and grind that shit tight), so not sure if it's worth the $$.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts